Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my previously homeschooled kids will be starting at our local elementary this Fall. They are already registered. There is an open house there tonight, I thought it would be good to go see the classrooms, meet the teachers, etc.<br><br>
I have two questions: Is it okay to go to an open house if we don't currently have kids there? And two, is it okay to bring kids to the open house?<br><br>
Thanks!

·
Registered
11,576 Posts
you might call and see exactly what they do and what the expectations are.<br><br>
At our school, you and your children would be VERY welcome.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
I've always brought my children to an Open House but it was always to meet their own teacher. I've never been to one just as a general thing.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Due to the economy our small school is adding 3 kids per grade. They were invited to all of our end of the year festivities to meet the kids in their classes next year as well as parents/teachers. We are moving so they were also invited to all the open houses that the rest of us were.<br><br>
I hope you got a lot of info.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
This may be too late, but I just wanted to say, don't be disappointed if the teachers don't have much time for you. With 27 kids and their families, DS's kindergarten teacher barely had time to say hello to all her own students.<br><br>
Our principal regularly gives tours, though -- maybe that's a better option?<br>
-e

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
Too late for you, sorry, but I hope you went and took the children too.<br><br>
Let's put it this way. If the school didn't welcome its newly registered students to visit during an open house, then I'd be concerned whether I wanted my children attending such a place.<br><br>
You may not know the specific teachers they will have, but just looking around the hallways, classrooms, library, lunchroom is nice. If you have a chance to chat with a couple of teachers too, that's great. It's all part of introducing yourself and becoming part of a new community. Best wishes with it.

·
Registered
11,576 Posts
Did you go? How was it?

·
Registered
11,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We went, and did bring the kids. It was all right. I mean, I haven't seen a school yet that overwhelmed me with it's greatness, but it's fine. We got to talk briefly to a couple of the teachers, and get a general sense of the different work they do.<br><br>
We have taken a tour, so I've seen all the facilities. I was more interested in having the kids check out the classrooms and meeting the teachers, so it was sort of helpful. However, ds2 wanted NOTHING to do with the first grade classrooms - that's a bad sign!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts