Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted another thread ("Adopting a dog with fleas"), but in less than 2 hours we're going to pick up this dog and he's coming to our house for a trial weekend. I didn't know this until just now. So I needed to post a new thread for quick advice.

The dog currently has fleas. The rescue we're working with says I can go to their vet and get Capstar and Advantage for free. I can give the new dog the Capstar when I see him, but he really needs a bath before he comes to my house. When do I put the Advantage on him? Before or after the bath? Do I have to wait a while after the bath before putting it on?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Advantage after the bath for sure. It is not waterproof, unlike Frontline. I think you need to wait 2-3 days after a bath to apply the Advantage because it needs skin oils in order to spread over the dogs skin and coat.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahhh! OK, the vet's office says they use Advantix, not Advantage. Does that change anything? Is it okay to give him a bath within an hour of the Capstar? I think we're going to go to a self-serve pet bathing place! (I'm actually excited about that! I've been considering taking our dog there.)

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Give the capstar, then bathe. You'll see dead fleas come off in droves, and even more dead fleas after the bath. That's fine--as long as you give the Capstar at least an hour or two before you come home to your house, you won't bring live fleas in.

I personally don't like Advantix, but since you're getting it free I'd just get one dose. Apply it 2-3 days after the bath.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
: Well, everything went okay until the dog's current owner and her daughter wanted to come to our house (right after we met at Petsmart.) It'd only been about 30-40 minutes since I gave him the Capstar, but I didn't want to seem rude. They wanted to come over and see the house because it would make the owner feel better. So we all came over to my house. They wanted Sammy to ride in our car on the way over. Sammy was still scratching.

Then we got to my house and... MY DOG DOESN'T LIKE HIM! I don't think that has ever happened in all the years we've had her! She's gotten along fine with our foster dogs, except for 2 little puppies who crawled all over her and bit her ears.

Sammy and Raven actually got in a little skirmish over a toy and then again when I was getting them each a treat. Since the current owner and her daughter are already so hesitant to place Sammy, I think this just freaked them out. The (adult) daughter said, "I just don't have a good feeling about this." So they took him back with them and said they don't think it's going to work out. Unfortunately, I think they're right.

Soooooo, should I worry about fleas in my car or house? My dog is on Frontline and we don't have any carpet--we've got those things going for us. I vacuumed after they left, just in case there were any fleas on the floor.
Parasites freak me out...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.