Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On this list that I belong to, a new mother is having difficulties with her 5 week old baby. Baby had a high fever when born and had to stay in hospital to take antibotics. Mom was trying to bf but baby was given formula in hospital nursery. Now baby is having latch problems and will only bf using a nipple shield. Nipple shield is at the suggestion of hospital lc. Baby is not gaining weight. Baby ped. told mom to pump and give baby 2-3 oz. of bm in a bottle and put her to the breast also. Now mom has run out of milk. She only gets 1-2 oz. when she pumps and ran out of saved milk tonight. Mom is pumping every 3 hours, taking fenugreek and drinking lactation tea.<br><br>
What else can she do?

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
By 5 weeks, if he hasn't been latching well, her milk supply has probably suffered a setback. I had the same problem. When did she start pumping?<br><br>
Hospital LCs can be helpful but they're usually run of their feet and don't have enough time to spend with patients. I ended up getting a private. It was well worth the expense and saved our BF relationship.<br><br>
Usually what needs to happen is :<br>
1. nurse baby<br>
2. after nursing, supplement baby with whatever expressed BM she has and add formula if necessary<br>
3. pump for ~ 10 mins with a hospital grade, double pump. LCs will rent these out.<br><br>
I don't know what this hospital LC tried before the nipple shield. That's usually a last resort. There are better methods for supplementing but she'd need to discuss it with her LC.<br><br>
Eventually the nursing and extra pumping will get her supply back up and her baby will learn to latch. Then it's a matter of weaning baby off the supplementing.<br><br>
This situation is really quite common but it can be fixed with some intensive effort and the right kind of support at the start (LLL and IBCLC). You can just point her in the right direction.<br><br>
edited to add:<br>
kellymom.com is a very useful resource for BF info.<br><br>
Info re increasing weight gain:<br><a href="http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/weight-gain_increase.html" target="_blank">http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns..._increase.html</a><br><br>
Info re latching:<br><a href="http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/latch-resources.html" target="_blank">http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/latch-resources.html</a>

·
Registered
93 Posts
Ask the hoispital for an sos system. It is a device you put around the mothers neck and it has small tubes that you tape to your breast/nipple and the baby learns to latch. If the baby is not gaining weight, then put formulas in the sos system and let the baby suckles the formula out of the tubes and the baby will still stimulate the nipple. This system is given to mothers who adopt children and want to nurse. It really works. However it takes a lot of work. We had the same problem with my baby and we ended up nursing for two years. If you would like, give her my e-mail, I would love to give her any support I can, I went through it.

·
Registered
758 Posts
This mother needs help in resting and relaxing in order to provide adequate milk. The same happened to my babe and we spent first week of his life in hospital - it is a nightmare and that poor mother is so vulnerable right now. Emotional support. Make her rest. Rasbberry tea, "mothers milk" tea. Oatmeal and sweet potatoes are great for making milk. BUT REST IS THE KEY FOR HER RIGHT NOW.<br><br>
I was an absolute mess during this time and then was told to supplement and I did it then because I was so unable to make this decision and be firm about breastfeeding, I knew so little then!! Wean the supplements slowly, I did and still breast feed 18 months later and my child thrives. Her babe will need probiotics, freshly made raw yogurt being the best, I know goodpapa can help with recipes!!<br><br>
Please feel free to have this person contact me if they want or call their local LLL.<br><br>
Thanks, Mary

1 - 5 of 5 Posts