Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ds (28 months) all of a sudden has a swollen eyelid. It's not swollen shut, and the eye itself is not red at all. But from the outer edge to about 3/4 of the way in, the whole upper eyelid is pretty swollen. It doesn't seem to hurt him, but he does keep rubbing it.

What do I do? I put some collyrium eyedrops in - this is an OTC eyewash that I have used if I got a sty - but I don't know if these will help at all. Is there anything that you know of that I can get at the health food store? Do I call the doctor/go to the ER to get antibiotic drops to try to prevent spreading to another eye or to prevent it from getting worse? Or do I wait to see if it swells shut or gets really bad?

I don't know if this is related, but ds has some little bites on his body, which I think are mosquitos. I don't see any bite on his eyelid though.

He has never had anything like this, and I don't know what to do. What would you do?

·
Registered
11,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not red, but it is a little pink. It is not hot as far as I can tell, but he won't let me touch it. I tried putting drops in again, but he squeezes his eyes shut and fights like a maniac, so I'm not sure how effective they are.

It's almost bedtime, so I guess I'll just wait and see what happens. I am a little concerned that it coincides with mosquito bites, but I really can't see one anywhere near his eye.

Any suggestions for eyedrops or alternative remedies? Has anyone else's toddler had this? What ended up happening? Did it just go away? Did it get worse first?

For me, this is by far the hardest part of being a parent - the constant worry, and all the unexpected surprises that sideswipe me.

·
Registered
692 Posts
To get the eyedrops in: wait until he's asleep, warm them to body temp, put the drops on the inside corner of his closed eyelid, then open the eyelid a little to let the drops run in.
Works best if you wait until they hit deep sleep-- for my 2 1/2 yo that takes about 15- 20 min.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
979 Posts
My guess is that its a mosquito bite. The bite may be small, but the swelling, itchiness, and lack of redness and discharge all sound like a bite. I'd keep an eye on it, chances are it will be nearly gone by tomorrow. If his eye starts to get red and have discharge, then I'd call the doctor.

·
Registered
11,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I guess it must have been a bite cuz by this morning it looked a lot better, and by this afternoon was totally gone.

Thanks so much for your replies - why does this stuff always happen on a weekend?

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Squirt some breastmilk in his eye. I put some in my husbands eye when he had an eye infection and some in my ear when I had an ear infection. It really helped!

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Don't sweat it.

It happens to my poor 16 mo. ALL of the time. I leave it alone and it goes away in about two to three days.
I think he gets bitten by mosquitos or something because we're outside all the time. He tends to have a very exaggerated reaction to bug bites. He is a very sensitive boy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.