Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I need some reassurance or at least some advice for those of you who have gone through this (I think there was a recent thread from Meggie'sMom that was similar?). I'm just 6 week now, and have been noticing some brown spotting / discharge. I first noticed it right after my missed period, which i assumed was implantation bleeding. I noticed it again a few days ago (this monday) and called my midwife. she basically said (as i guess i knew), that there is nothing we can do but wait right now -- whatever will be, will be. she also thought it was a bit to early to try to look for a heartbeat. well, i just noticed it again this morning. nothing heavy or red, just some brown in with discharge. i know this could be a sign of miscarriage, or it could be nothing. anyone have any thoughts on this? it is really stressing me out...

Rebecca

·
Registered
246 Posts
Rebecca,
Just wanted to let you know that you are in the club. My MW said about 90% of mamas get some kind of spotting or whanot in the 6-10 week range. If its brown its not a problem. It is most likely your baby growing out of the endometrium and sloughing off old lining. FWIW I have experienced this with all 3 of my pregnancies. My other 2 it lasted about a week each time. Normal uneventful pregnancies.
Hope this give you some peace of mind!
If it gets heavy or bright red, then you have permission to worry. For now though... normal

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for sharing! I didn't have any spotting at all with my first pg so this really threw me for a loop. No cramping, so I'm hoping that is a good sign, too. Its good to know I'm not alone.

Rebecca

·
Registered
717 Posts
So glad to hear that spotting can be normal.

I didn't have any with DD and with this one I had some yesterday.
Of course I started to cry(have had a loss before DD) then told myself that I wasn't accually "bleeding" just spotting. Today though there seems to be nothing at all. I'm 8-9 weeks. Hope this is all the spotting I see.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I'm kinda in that boat, too. Had some mild brown spotting this morning that sent me into a bit of a panic, but all the other pg symptoms are still there: High temp this am (still temping, to be sure...), tender breasts, frequent urination, etc. Also, when I m/c in March I had horrible low back pain and cramping, which I don't have now.

So...I think we're worrying too much and without cause for concern if the only symptom is brown spotting.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
I had spotting with my oldest the day I was supposed to start AF, and then again at 5 weeks. I don't even think it was very brown, more brownish red. Enough that as a first time mama, I was freaked out. But then, if my memory serves me, I had similar spotting with ds too.

I wouldn't worry if it's light and only for a week or so. HTH

·
Registered
352 Posts
No cramping IS a GREAT sign. I'm sure it's nothing to worry about.

Yes, I'm the one who had the same thing starting at about 5.5 weeks. Of course I was very worried (even though I experienced the same exact thing with my last pregnancy), but all turned out well. After 3 ultrasounds and alot of blood work, I am now about 7.5 weeks with no more spotting and a healthy baby. Doc said it is VERY normal and brown blood is old blood, probably left over from implantation.

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Hugs for you!
I know how hard it is not to worry. I had brown spotting on and off throughout the first tri when I was pg with my dd. She was born perfectly healthy. Keeping you in my thoughts...

·
Registered
16,500 Posts
I had spotting (mostly brown, a couple of small red, and even one teeny clot) for nearly two weeks starting just before 5w. (I'm 8w now.) Even had cramping, kinda like menstrual cramps but not, for a couple weeks, too.

Still here, still definitely pregnant!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hearing from everyone makes me feel better, and so far, no spotting today! Isn't it funny how motherhood (or pending motherhood) brings worrying to a whole new level that you never knew existed?

Rebecca

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hi -- visiting from February. I thought I would stick my nose in since I had spotting at around 9.5 - 10 wks and drove myself crazy about it. It was not much, and yes, brown, but it certainly made me anxious and depressed. I did go to my OB (it is his nature to see me when I'm worried about something) he did an u/s and everything looked good. He told me that brown bleeding is not abnormal, and lots of women get it. (He said his wife had lots of red blood for a week around the same time with their first and everything was okay.) He did tell me to lay off the exercise until I see him next, which is totally bumming me out, but I'm willing to sacrifice.

I'm 12 wks 2 days now and haven't had any spotting in over 2 weeks. I think hearing other peoples experiences makes you feel better, but be careful about searching the web on this - it can make you mad.

I think the most important things to do are listen to your own body, take it easy and have some faith.

Best of luck!

·
Premium Member
6,397 Posts
I have had some brown discharge as well. no red really, and just a tiny light pink. haven't had an ultrasound but did have an exam and everything seemed just fine. had my hcg checked and the first day was normal but haven't hear about the 3rd day to make sure it is doubling. no cramping....feel better after seeing my dr.
oh, I am almost 8 weeks.

·
Premium Member
5,525 Posts
I have had some red, some pink, some brown... the works. When I see some, or feel the slightest twinge, I slather on some progesterone cream from the HFS onto my belly. So far, still pg. I've had 5 losses, 3 since the birth of my daughter in 04. My progesterone is always low. I spotted with my daughter until about 16 weeks, when I stopped yacking!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Whew! I'm so glad I found this thread! I too have had some brown dischargy stuff going on, which did not happen in the last two pregnancies. I keep thinking that I'm cramping too, but I think it's just gas
. It is really reassuring that it is normal. I am 7 weeks, and thank you thank you, I feel much better!

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
... posted in wrong thread... ooops...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts