Mothering Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am due at the end of May and would like to find a "sling" or other correct term for the babywearing gear. I tried this with my first, but did not know how to use it properly and it didn't work out well so we gave up until the baby could fit into a front pack.<br><br>
I am VERY interested this time so I can have the baby close, but have my hands free for the 2 year old. Does anyone have a recommendations of easy yet good ones to use (i.e. also comfortable and secure for baby?) Also, where might I be able to buy one (new or used). Not sure the ones at Babies R Us and Target are as versatile as I would like.<br><br>
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
My favorite sling for a newborn up til maybe 5-6 months is the Moby Wrap. It is the most comfortable sling I've ever worn and keeps them very held in so you truly have hands free as opposed to really just one hand free as the other holds the baby in. It takes a minute to figure out with instructions and is annoying in that it's so long it is better to put it on inside or it may get dirty.<br>
It may also be hot in the summer, so you might want to seek out a lighter fabric of the same idea.<br>
Try out "theslingstation.com" they have lots of stuff.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
I didn't figure it out with my first, either, but then with my second babywore all.the.time. I found a pouch a great way to begin. Hotslings were great. From there I moved onto a Rosado ring sling and then a Beco once he was about seven months old and too wiggly for the sling.

·
Registered
497 Posts
If you can, go someplace and try them out before you buy. I don't know where you live, but Crunchy Granola Baby in Salem has Maya Wraps and Ergo Carriers. I was in Northampton last April and there was a store there that sold baby carriers, if you're out that way. I don't remember the name, but it's right in the town center.<br><br>
I love the Maya Wrap for a quick and easy way to carry DD. It's easy and quick to get them in and out of, comfortable for baby, and comfortable for the parent for short amounts of time.<br><br>
The Ergo is great for walks and for carrying baby in for longer amounts of time. You can get an infant insert so you can use it from day 1. It can go on the front, back, or side. DD would fall asleep in it every time we put her in for a long time. It's very comfortable for a large range of sizes (though my heavy, large-breasted SIL didn't like it). You also have more freedom to use both hands w/ the Ergo. It takes a little longer to put on b/c of the snaps and things, but it's super-comfortable.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you live near Boston, Hatched in Jamaica Plain carries the New Native Baby Carrier. I like it a lot and it was great to be able to try it out before I bought it.

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
Moving to babywearing

·
Registered
230 Posts
My favorite is the moby wrap. I used it with my baby from the first day he was home and still use it daily (he is now about 3 mo.). He loves it, he can be screaming and I put him in the moby and he is calmed within a couple minutes. I also nursed in it, which worked great.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts