·
Registered
5,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We use saxon math
junior great books for literature/reading
Daily Grams for grammar
my own made up spelling program

I'm having a hard time finding secular science and social studies. I have christian curriculum allready bought for this year...but need to research for next year. I'll need 3rd grade science and social studies.... Anyone have any ideas? We do "school at home" because my son went to PS for part of last year and loved it. He had me set up the play room as a class room with a desk for each of us and everything

·
Registered
14,840 Posts
I am not familiar with actual currics, but I believe Oak Meadow is secular.

·
Registered
529 Posts
My World Science is secular. Other than ordering from textbook publishers, that was about the only route I could find. I really like it because, in addition to being secular, it is also scalable to all elementary levels in each unit, so you can pick the book you want to start with no matter what grade you're doing. It's also reading and project based, so there are lots of opportunities for hands-on. We'll be doing our units with friends and basically covering the same material on-level for first-, second- and third-graders (there are different recommendations for adjunct reading for different age groups).

I can't really think of any strong recommendations for social studies, though. Maybe Calvert? We use Story of the World, with tweaking.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Secular is important to me.

We use R.E.A.L. Science and love it! http://www.pandiapress.com/real_science.htm

Here are some others that are secular
noeoscience.com
Great Science Adventures
Science MaTe
and a couple with activites and fun things, not whole curriculums
Nature Watch
eNaturalist

We have been using Story of the World for History. It is a little too christian for me but we just skip or breeze through those chapters, most of it is good for us.
You could just go through a good Usborne book and check out books from library on topics you are interested in
History Odyssey
Social Studies School Service
Bluestocking Press
You could try a used textbook. Follett Educational Services

One of the things I really wanted help teaching and thought I'd never be able to find secular was a values/character curriculum. I recently found this book Family Virtues Guide I've ordered it but it isn't here yet!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.