Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dd is 27 mos. She can recognise all the letters of the alphabet out of order (she just picked that up, didn't know she knew them till a few months ago she started saying things like "look, a W!" or something), she can count to ten, she knows all her shapes and colors. If she keeps learning at this rate, that's great, if she slows down, that's great too. I don't really care if she's "ahead" or not as long as she's happy. But she really seems to get bored these days. My mom says I'm not stimulating enough for her. I guess it's true, but regardless of what dd knows, she's still 27 mos, and only has the dexterity of a 27 mont old kid, so there are a lot of things (like board games or that kind of thing) that she just can't do. So I'm looking for activities that she can do without getting frustrated, but that are still challenging enough to keep her occupied. any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
If you don't object to screen time, there are many great educational web sites out there with games she would probably like. I suggest www.starfall.com, www.uptoten.com, and www.sesameworkshop.com.

You could also get some books of toddler activities to try. There are tons of them. My DD is also susceptible to becoming bored; I find that I do need to make an effort to do art projects, cooking projects, etc. It's not so much that she needs to be formally taught things, but she does need to have her mind engaged in some way.

We read constantly, of course. That keeps her busy!

·
Registered
15,067 Posts
What is she interested in? Is she moving in any particular direction? At 27 months, my son would stare at maps all day, running back to me to say things like, "Mamma, Pennsylvania is almost a rectangle!" and so forth. Given the opportunity, my son will watch The Weather Channel for hours on end-- maps that move! Weather! He watches with big, round eyes and then runs to tell us that "It's going to rain in California!" or "It's very hot in Arizona today!"
Mike showed him their website and he nearly peed himself, he was so excited.
:

BooBah is 25 months old, and she is learning to read. She also loves turning sommersaults, any sort of physical activity is great fun to her. She's very good at entertaining herself, though, and rarely seems bored. Of course, she does have an older brother to harass if there's really nothing to do, so maybe she just hasn't had a chance to get bored yet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts