Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DD, who is almost 3, is still nursing several times a day, which I'm totally fine with, but she's also up 3, 4 or 5 times at night and has only slept all night once, ever. It's to the point that I dread the night because I know I'm not going to get any sleep and I end up bringing her into our bed so I can try to sleep. The she tosses and turns and kicks us and, on top of that, our 5yo. crawls into bed with us many night, too. I am all for child led weaning, but is there any way to gently encourage her not to nurse during the night? My son weaned on his own and began sleeping all night just after his second birthday, but I guess my dd has her own ideas. She is still in her crib and I was considering moving her to her big bed, but then I worry she will be up even more since she will have easier access to me. But, I also wonder if maybe it would help so she won't feel so confined. I'm the only one that can put her to bed at night since she still nurses to get to sleep. I don't know what to do, I'm just so tired and, selfishly, I would like a little sleep and a little freedom. Any ideas?? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thought I'd share something I read the other day. A cloth diapering mama figured that once she put wool diaper cover on her LO during the night he slept much better. She hypothesised that it was the cold wet diaper that was waking him up. With the wool cover it no longer felt cold. Less wakings => less nursings => drier diaper.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
It sounds like the night waking is the most stressful part for you - do you know what's causing her to wake at night?

Some moms find a "nursing nightlight" helpful ... a nightlight or other small light on a timer, set to be on for one or two brief periods at night when it's "ok" to nurse. You explain to the child that when the nursing light is on, she can ask for mamamilk and when it's off, Mama/Daddy will help her get back to sleep in other ways.

I've found that children start sleeping through the night at different ages. I have five kids and one started sleeping through the night at a year old, another at 2, another at 3 and another at nearly 4. Different children have different sleep patterns and night waking is normal and necessary for proper brain development. Some kids just wake up more frequently / more alertly than others and some kids are better self-soothers than others.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.