Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm texting with a friend who is actually being very respectful about the Covid jab. She is pro-jab. She acknowledges that there are people getting hurt and even killed by the jab, but she says it is still worth it because it makes the symptoms of the disease less severe.

I'm thinking what could be more severe than death, but I don't want to be rude. She is being very nice.

I told her that there is no evidence that the jab makes symptoms less severe. I challenged her to find a research study proving that. I told there is no research because all of this is still an experiment. It's all still a research trial. Results won't be known for a long time.

I said the jab admittedly does not stop a person from getting Covid, and it does not stop a person from spreading Covid, so what makes her think it will lessen the symptoms?

Nothing they said the jab was supposed to do has happened yet.

Anyhow, do you ladies have any other ways for me to approach this? She watches the news all day long. Her brain is full of Covid jab mush.

She is a really sweet person, and is where I was one year ago in believing everything I was told. If she wasn't open, she wouldn't be texting me back.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
24,944 Posts
Pain, discomfort and all physical symptoms are subjective.

What one person may feel as horrible pain another person may feel as a mild discomfort.

Doctors love to say a vaccine will make a breakthrough condition less severe, but there is no scientific way to prove this.

I would think a person who gets the vaccine and then the disease has two strikes against them - the vaccine side effects and the disease itself.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Yawn!!! 😵 (don't worry Tweedledee, my yawn is not directed at you).

They have been trotting out this old canard for over a hundred years:
If a person happens to have been vaccinated and he goes through life without catching small-pox they say, "What a splendid thing it is that he was vaccinated";
if he has a mild attack they say, "How very fortunate he was vaccinated, or he would have had the small-pox very severely";
if he happens to have a severe attack we are told, "It was a lucky job he was vaccinated, or he would have died ";
and if a person who has been vaccinated should have the impudence to go and die, then we are coolly told, "Oh, he had not been vaccinated properly."
from “The Case Against Vaccination” By Dr. Walter Hadwen (1896)

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pain, discomfort and all physical symptoms are subjective.

What one person may feel as horrible pain another person may feel as a mild discomfort.

Doctors love to say a vaccine will make a breakthrough condition less severe, but there is no scientific way to prove this.

I would think a person who gets the vaccine and then the disease has two strikes against them - the vaccine side effects and the disease itself.
Great point. It is all subjective. What does less severe even mean?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yawn!!! 😵 (don't worry Tweedledee, my yawn is not directed at you).

They have been trotting out this old canard for over a hundred years:
Where in the world do you find these quotes? That was from 1896. You are right. They are LITERALLY saying the exact same thing now.

I'm borrowing that quote, and I am going to send it to everyone who keeps using that argument.

I love the last line, or actually am disgusted by it, that is "if a person who has been vaccinated should have the impudence to go and die, then we are coolly told, "Oh, he had not been vaccinated properly."

I can't believe how true that whole quote is and how it works perfectly 125 years later.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
I love the last line, or actually am disgusted by it, that is "if a person who has been vaccinated should have the impudence to go and die, then we are coolly told, "Oh, he had not been vaccinated properly."

I can't believe how true that whole quote is and how it works perfectly 125 years later.
or one article posted in here somewhere a while back about in which the man DID die and it said how his case would have been ''more severe without the vaccine''....um, WHAT is more severe than DEATH? SMH...

·
Registered
19,140 Posts
I thought I posted this, but it seems to have disappeared.

But as a result, their vaccination campaigns were months behind the United States in the spring, and even further behind Britain. As late as June 1, only 22 in 100 people in Denmark were fully vaccinated. As of now 74 in 100 are.

Thus these countries are now in what I call the “happy vaccine valley” - the three-to four-month period following the second dose when antibodies are high enough that the vaccines actually appear to work. (For those of you keeping score at home, that’s two weeks of negative efficacy after the first shot, a month of maybe 50% efficacy, three months of near-complete protection, and then a rapid fall to what looks like 0% protection within three months. Science!)
So it isn't that the vaccines don't provide some protection against serious illness. Looks like they do. For a few months. And then, maybe even with booster after booster, not.

There is also this article in Atlantic, which makes it look like the vaccines are working wonders. But temporarily good, and then bad? Our Most Reliable Pandemic Number Is Losing Meaning

To sum up: the situation is complicated and confusing and there are a lot of people trying to muddy the waters to serve various agendas. Including, alas, vaccine critics, who are not above having agendas.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is my first post but I am a very long time lurker and have read many of the comments here on Covid. I don't comment because I do believe in vaccines and feel I would not be helpful in commenting on some of the posts. I will preface this post with that I am fully vaccinated and even got my booster 2 weeks ago (I am immunocompromised and after lengthly discussions with my doctors it was recommended). I also do struggle with mandating vaccines. I understand it to a point but also see the other side's point of view. I have been debating this with myself for the past few months. While I have decided I am ultimately for mandates (with some caveats) this was not an easy decision for me to come to and respect others that disagree with mandates. (I live in a city that you cannot go anywhere without showing proof of the vaccine)

I didn't get vaccinated for anyone else but myself. (Family gatherings everyone needed to be vaccinated and I wanted to get back to some semblance of normal) I didn't do it for the greater good. I did it because I felt it was right for me. I still wear masks outside and on public transport along with them I am in the office or going to local businesses. I welcome the day when I no longer have to wear masks as I absolutely hate it but know it is another way of me protecting myself.

I am posting because I do have first hand knowledge of having the vaccine and it actually lessoning the symptoms once contracting Covid. I have always believed that the vaccine will not cure me but will help in me not getting it as severe and possibly being hospitalized. For me the benefits outweighed the negatives for vaccines as a whole and I have never had a negative reaction except a sore arm for a few days and with Covid feeling really tired.

My Aunt is fighting Stage 4 Colorectal Cancer and is 75 years old in South Florida were Covid numbers are extremely high. She was in the hospital for months and has recently been transferred to a rehabilitation center. At the facility she gets tested every other day. She was vaccinated back in March. Well two weeks ago she tested positive for Covid. The facility immediately transferred her back to the hospital to get diagnostic tests to see how severe it was. Her lungs were only mildly compromised. When I spoke to her she said it felt like she had a cold. A little achey but nothing she could not handle (compared to the pain she has been in from cancer). Her doctor told her she was very lucky to vaccinated as her immune system is completely shot because of all the chemo and radiation she has been put through. He said he believed if she was not vaccinated she would have died. They moved her back to the rehab and isolated her until she no longer had any symptoms and tested negative.

Long story short while Covid does not remove 100% of your chances of getting it I agree with the friend that says it lessens the symptoms. I have witnessed too many people die from this disease or recover and have long lasting affects. in the past 18 months with no family around and seeing their family members grieve and not getting the closure they need. I do not wish this disease on my worst enemy. I have no first hand knowledge of any one having a reaction or dying from the Covid Vaccine. I know about 300 people that are fully vaccinated.

While some may not want to get the vaccine (and that is his or her right) I hope at least everyone can agree that we need to be taking precautions to mitigate getting the disease whether that is isolation, wearing masks, more testing on a regular basis or as simple as washing hands and using hand sanitizer. This disease will not go away if we just ignore it and do nothing. Hopefully if we can get a handle on this disease we as a country can recover both mentally and economically faster.

If your friend is a nice person and you have a good relationship maybe just agree to disagree and if possible talk about other topics that the two of you have in common. That is what I do with my friends on both Covid and other topics we cannot agree on.

I hope with this post I do not offend anyone. That is not my purpose. I just wanted to state my antidotal experience of Covid Vaccine limiting the severity of the symptoms.

Thank you

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is my first post but I am a very long time lurker and have read many of the comments here on Covid. I don't comment because I do believe in vaccines and feel I would not be helpful in commenting on some of the posts. I will preface this post with that I am fully vaccinated and even got my booster 2 weeks ago (I am immunocompromised and after lengthly discussions with my doctors it was recommended). I also do struggle with mandating vaccines. I understand it to a point but also see the other side's point of view. I have been debating this with myself for the past few months. While I have decided I am ultimately for mandates (with some caveats) this was not an easy decision for me to come to and respect others that disagree with mandates. (I live in a city that you cannot go anywhere without showing proof of the vaccine)

I didn't get vaccinated for anyone else but myself. (Family gatherings everyone needed to be vaccinated and I wanted to get back to some semblance of normal) I didn't do it for the greater good. I did it because I felt it was right for me. I still wear masks outside and on public transport along with them I am in the office or going to local businesses. I welcome the day when I no longer have to wear masks as I absolutely hate it but know it is another way of me protecting myself.

I am posting because I do have first hand knowledge of having the vaccine and it actually lessoning the symptoms once contracting Covid. I have always believed that the vaccine will not cure me but will help in me not getting it as severe and possibly being hospitalized. For me the benefits outweighed the negatives for vaccines as a whole and I have never had a negative reaction except a sore arm for a few days and with Covid feeling really tired.

My Aunt is fighting Stage 4 Colorectal Cancer and is 75 years old in South Florida were Covid numbers are extremely high. She was in the hospital for months and has recently been transferred to a rehabilitation center. At the facility she gets tested every other day. She was vaccinated back in March. Well two weeks ago she tested positive for Covid. The facility immediately transferred her back to the hospital to get diagnostic tests to see how severe it was. Her lungs were only mildly compromised. When I spoke to her she said it felt like she had a cold. A little achey but nothing she could not handle (compared to the pain she has been in from cancer). Her doctor told her she was very lucky to vaccinated as her immune system is completely shot because of all the chemo and radiation she has been put through. He said he believed if she was not vaccinated she would have died. They moved her back to the rehab and isolated her until she no longer had any symptoms and tested negative.

Long story short while Covid does not remove 100% of your chances of getting it I agree with the friend that says it lessens the symptoms. I have witnessed too many people die from this disease or recover and have long lasting affects. in the past 18 months with no family around and seeing their family members grieve and not getting the closure they need. I do not wish this disease on my worst enemy. I have no first hand knowledge of any one having a reaction or dying from the Covid Vaccine. I know about 300 people that are fully vaccinated.

While some may not want to get the vaccine (and that is his or her right) I hope at least everyone can agree that we need to be taking precautions to mitigate getting the disease whether that is isolation, wearing masks, more testing on a regular basis or as simple as washing hands and using hand sanitizer. This disease will not go away if we just ignore it and do nothing. Hopefully if we can get a handle on this disease we as a country can recover both mentally and economically faster.

If your friend is a nice person and you have a good relationship maybe just agree to disagree and if possible talk about other topics that the two of you have in common. That is what I do with my friends on both Covid and other topics we cannot agree on.

I hope with this post I do not offend anyone. That is not my purpose. I just wanted to state my antidotal experience of Covid Vaccine limiting the severity of the symptoms.

Thank you
Wonderful thoughts. I thank you for your insights. I can also see your side of the story. It sounds exactly like my friends. If you want to be vaccinated, then you should surely do that. I am a fan of anecdotal evidence. People's stories are very important.

·
Registered
100 Posts
While I have decided I am ultimately for mandates (with some caveats) this was not an easy decision for me to come to and respect others that disagree with mandates.
Thanks for sharing your story. I am wondering why you support mandates? If the vaccine can give people milder cases of Covid, then they can still spread Covid so the vaccine is only protecting the recipient.

·
Registered
625 Posts
When the injection does not prevent acquiring or transmitting the disease the mandates don't make much sense. When jabbed carry as much viral load (if not potentially more, as seen in a recent study) than the unjabbed the mandates definitely don't make a lot of sense. The reduction of symptoms is not necessarily a benefit, it's potentially more of a risk as people with milder symptoms, who have been jabbed, think that they're fine to go out and we end up with a Typhoid Mary type of situation. That was seen with the DTaP, it ameliorated symptoms but people were still infectious, thus spreading it to the truly susceptible infants in their circles.

If people know this, and they still want to get jabbed, I'm not going to stop them making that decision for themselves. But it's not the panacea that the media is portraying it to be and it should not be forced on adults who have made a medical decision for themselves as is their human right.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The reduction of symptoms is not necessarily a benefit, it's potentially more of a risk as people with milder symptoms, who have been jabbed, think that they're fine to go out and we end up with a Typhoid Mary type of situation. That was seen with the DTaP, it ameliorated symptoms but people were still infectious, thus spreading it to the truly susceptible infants in their circles.
This is an angle I had not thought about. Very interesting and makes sense.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
fljen said:
The reduction of symptoms is not necessarily a benefit, it's potentially more of a risk as people with milder symptoms, who have been jabbed, think that they're fine to go out and we end up with a Typhoid Mary type of situation. That was seen with the DTaP, it ameliorated symptoms but people were still infectious, thus spreading it to the truly susceptible infants in their circles.
This is an angle I had not thought about. Very interesting and makes sense.
as is what is happening with SO many people i know, believing they are 'protected' when in reality, THEY are helping to spread delta around....friends/family alike, alllllllllll because of being vaccinated, ran out foolishly to all events, contracting delta in the process.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
as is what is happening with SO many people i know, believing they are 'protected' when in reality, THEY are helping to spread delta around....friends/family alike, alllllllllll because of being vaccinated, ran out foolishly to all events, contracting delta in the process.
I'm starting to get very concerned for the Fall/Winter months. I saw a report from the UK (I wish I could remember where) that admitted the vaccinated had a much better chance of a bad reaction to the next wave. If the jab is overstimulating the immune system already, then another illness could put it over the edge. Like a ticking bomb.

Unlike like some pro-Covid jab people I've interacted with, I don't want anyone to get terribly ill or worse. I have no desire to say I told you so.

I hope everyone loads up on Vit C, Vit D, zinc and the other nutrients they feel will prepare them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts