Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got a bushel of veggies from dh's work.

purple, white and orange carrots
shallots (are shallots supposed to be purple?)
potatoes
ginormous brussel sprouts

I'm most concerned about what to do with the first two.... I don't like cooked carrots; I'd like to find a way to cook them that I do like, and no one but me likes them raw.

Any ideas you have for these veggies, I'd appreciate.

p.s. we're vegetarian

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
The first thing that comes to my mind for that combination is to roast them. Cut the carrots into big chunks, peel the shallots, cut the potatoes and brussels into bite size pieces. Toss the whole thing with olive oil and season with salt and whatever herbs you have -- thyme would work well. Then roast in the oven at 375 for about 45 minutes until everything is tender.

If you won't eat the carrots roasted--though I'll tell you roasting almost any vegetable makes it taste devine-- you could make them into a carrot cake or muffins. I also have a recipe for a cream of carrot soup . . .

You can also use the shallots like onions or garlic in any recipe . ..

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Have you tried a carrot soup before? Carrots, potatoes, celery, ginger, other spices, veg broth...puree...yum...

·
Registered
15 Posts
My favorite way to eat the purple, white and orange carrots is to cut them in half and blanch them, then toss them in Olive oil and kosher salt and pepper then throw them on the barbecue. I love them this way, the purple ones seem to taste extra good like this and I look forward to every summer when I get to do them. If you don't have a bbq you could probably grill or roast them the same way inside.
They still keep some crunch this way and don't taste as much like cooked carrots normally do.
Shallots are great in anything you would put onions in. You can roast them or chop them up raw in dressings/salads.
Potates we eat roasted most of the time, toss in Olive oil, salt pepper, any herbs and spices, sometimes some dijon is good to then roast in the oven. You can cut in cubes or like French fries. If you do bbq the carrots you could do a pouch of potatoes, garlic, and shallots wrapped in tinfoil alongside them.. YUMMY!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.