Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son does not listen very well. He understands, he is very smart, maybe too smart! LOL Anyways, I let the small stuff go but things that he does that could endanger him, I dont know what to do. I keep making him go sit on his bed "until he can listen to mama and be nice" but it does nothing. He just says "sorry mama. I be nice boy." but then he will go right back and do it again OVER and OVER. One of the things he does is climb on the counter. Our floor is tile and if he falls he can crack his head open. I take him off the counter and tell him that if he falls he could crack his head, but he really doesnt care. He will climb right back over and over. He does this to all of our counters, kitchen, bathrooms, island, etc. He also likes to open the oven and stand on it. A few days ago he even opened it when it was hot! Luckily he noticed it was warm and I got to him before he could touch it but it scares me. How do you keep your little climbers off the counters?

·
Registered
773 Posts
In addition to never taking your eyes off him, can you give him a space where he can climb? Our son is allowed to climb over the couch. He needs reminders on occasion when other things are too tempting, but he likes having a place to let his energy out. You have found out that punishment has no effect on him, and I would not expect it to at his age.

Find some fun activities for him to do. Busy bodies don't have time to try to destroy themselves! I just got these link from a friend:
http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/...ddler/tres.htm
http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/...ddler/list.htm

Hope those help.

·
Registered
8,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah he does climb on the couch. He climbs at the park and stuff too (it's within walking distance and its still in the 70's here degree wise.)

I dont leave him but he is quick. All it takes is 2 seconds for an accident. If I am peeing, he is climbing on the counter! LOL

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
Hi Desiree,

That sounds like a frustrating problem! A couple things jumped out at me: Words like "listen" and "nice" may not be specific enough. Maybe try telling him exactly what you expect in positive, simple terms. For example: "Our feet need to stay on the floor so we don't fall and get hurt". When it seems he has heard that message try saying: "Lets find a safe place to do some climbing" (or other large motor activity). When I was teaching pre-k I found myself losing a lot of battles when I focused on the undesired behavior (counter climbing in this case). When I focused on the desired behavior, things went better (safe climbing, feet on the floor in this case).

My son has been doing some similar things recently. He jumps around the living room and especially love to jump over his 8month old sister head
Tonight she got kicked and dh didn't handle it so well. I think tomorrow we will be sure to get him outdoors so he can let out his energy. I think Winter can be hard on kids becuase the weather sucks. My son hasn't got out enough, so its our fault he is bouncing off the walls.

I hope that has helped some! Good Luck

eta: I clicked the link in your sig. and your boy is a cutie! He looks like a smart one too. They are always the one to keep their parents on their toes :LOL

·
Registered
8,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you! I am going to try focus more on what he CAN do instead of what he cant do.

Aww, I just clicked on your sig too, what a cute family!

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Obviously you can't let him crack his head open, but what about some other, natural consequences? My DD has fallen off a step stool ONCE and every time she gets on it now she says "Careful! No fall down!"

Also, I second the suggestion of forming positive directions "You may ____. " or "We have to ____" instead of "You can't _____"

These two year olds are tricky, aren't they?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.