Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please be kind, I am already feeling like a horrible pet owner and furmama.<br><br>
My douge de bordeaux Wilson is sick.<br><br>
I know your screaming at your computer for me to take him to the vet, but I can't.<br><br>
I always have a couple of grand aside for the dogs, But I just spent all of it plus extra on emergency surgery for my female DDB.<br><br>
We co own these dogs through a breeder (big mistake). He promised to help us if things got tough.. and now hes out of the picture all together. won't answer our calls, nothing.<br><br>
My female dog developed HUS (pyometra) because of the breeder never coming to breed her. she had to be spayed (a complete spay all the parts). to save her life.. It cost me 3500$ and now I am broke.<br><br>
Today Wilson was fine and dandy, until about 4 the right side of his face started to swell. Now it looks like a balloon and he can hardly open his mouth. Its bad, really bad. Lucia (the female) is licking his ears because she knows there is something wrong with him.<br><br>
If I had the money I would take him in right away, even if it was all the money I had. The vet will not work with us, I can't find any vet here in MN that will take a payment plan or bill us. I can get him to the vet next week but I seriously do not think this will wait.<br><br>
He won't eat because he can't open his mouth.<br><br>
Any advice, have you ever heard of something like this or had an experience with it?<br><br>
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
47 Posts
facial swelling on one side sounds like a tooth abscess or an allergic reaction.<br><br>
You can try benedryl (incase its just an allergic reaction) 1mg per lb, every 6-8 hours. Of course if it is an abscess you will need to have that taken care of by your vet.<br><br>
I am sorry Mama. I work at an emergency/critical care hospital (animals) and there are so many people now who just can afford the emergency treatment. (it costs alot!)<br>
Good luck!

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its all just horrible timeing! Lucia just had surgery 4 days ago. I feel so irresponsible!<br>
I already tried giving him benadryl but he won't swollow it. and he cant open his mouth to get it with some peanut butter bread or anything but I will keep trying.<br><br>
thanks so much for replying so fast! I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok I got him to take the benadryl I had to pull out the big guns and shove it in a big chunk of steak and he ate it right up. I guess PB on bread wasn't good enough for him.<br><br>
Lucia has a big bottle of antibiotic and we had to pre pay for all the meds so she has 3 refills of Cephalexin waiting for her, would it be a bad idea to give him a dose or two?

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
That sounds very scary! Honestly if you have a credit card I would put it on there and take him to the vet.<br><br>
BTW I don't think pyometra is due to not being bred. It's a risk for all female dogs whether they have been bred or not (not that that helps you any, just wanted to mention it).

·
Registered
635 Posts
Is he better today?

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Her HUS was from having rapid cycles without being bred.<br><br>
He is Much better now, Sorry I took so long to get back to everyone.<br><br>
I ended up taking him in, he got bit my something in his mouth, that was the vets best guess. They put him on some antibiotics (same as we were giving him) and he cleared up in a couple of days.<br><br>
thanks for all the advice!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts