Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We moved to Miami in November. Ds had a cold then, which turned into pneumonia and wheezing. Treated with abx and xopenex. 2 months later, we both got head colds, that lasted about 2 weeks, and then ds got another virus (I think) and started wheezing. Treating with xopenex and the wheezing is gone, but he seems to have a lot of nasal congestion or is it in his sinuses? He doesn't really have a runny nose, but you can hear him snuffle/snort the mucus, but when i put saline drops in his nose, nothing comes out. Oh and we've given him prednisolone for 3 days, and the first 2 days were a huge difference, and then last night again, the "liquidy" sound came back and he's sniffling today.
The Dr. has suggested that we may have mold issues and hence our previous healthy kid is now turning into a chronic wheezer. What complicates matters is that when ds is sick, we often stay with my mom (at her condo) for days. I do notice sometimes that he'll be better at my mom's and then get worse when we come back to our condo.
Apart from mold, what other environmental issues could it be?: bed, pillows, we have 2 small rugs here, and the rest of the place is tile, so no carpeting. This is an older building (1965) and before I remodeled there was visible mold. Remodeled a few years ago, so there's nothing really new. We did get a new couch/loveseat from Ikea that smelled horribly for a while. I need some ideas here on where to start first. I found out that a mold inspection is $545 for our 1 br apt. Has anyone used the Home Depot DIY kits? Do they work? As far as water, we use the filtered water out of the fridge, but when ds is sick I get bottled spring water, so he gets room temp water, not cold. Does this sound like allergies or is it just a coincidence? Do we need an air purifier? All the usual recommendations for congestion like a humidifier probably don't make sense here, as it's very humid already. Should we run a de-humidifier?
Ideas please!
(oh and ds has always had a very varied diet, so he's not really eating anything new here).

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
If it coincides with the move, it sounds like it's allergies. And if you're better at your mother's (I'm assuming also Miami) then worse back at your own place, then it probably is something at your place. You have a lot of variables though. When he's sick he gets bottled water. When he's sick he goes on medicine. When he's sick, you move out. So is it just the moving out (away from whatever IT is) what's making him better? Did you get the IKEA furniture right at the beginning or midway into this? I think the easiest thing to do, is re-home the IKEA stuff for a while, and see if it's that. But it's probably more likely since you already said there was visible mold, that it's the mold, and it's within the walls. If that's the case, I'm not sure what you can do. Even with a dehumidifier, if it's in the walls, I'm not sure how much that helps. You can always try. I wonder if you ran a dehumidifier and an air conditioner and an air purifier, what that would do. Can you get him tested for mold at an allergist?

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I agree... a lot of variables. I don't quite remember if we got the Ikea furniture after he was sick the first time or during his illness. I think it was after he already had pneumonia...and it took them several weeks to deliver it.

We used to have visible mold, but I'm not sure we have it now. So if it gets into the walls, then remodeling doesn't take care of it? We didn't take the walls down or anything. I've also had the same dehumidifier here for many years - can that get mold inside of it? Dh is sure it doesn't, but I'm not convinced. Cause if it runs and then isn't emptied out quickly, wouldn't it develop mold inside?
I'm hesitant to get him tested while he's still sick. And I did ask the ped about testing, and she said that he may not have had a long enough exposure to show a positive although that doesn't mean he's not allergic. So I think she'd like to wait a couple of months before testing.
I have to admit we don't often run the A/C, as I really hate the cold canned air, and during the winter months, it doesn't seem like it's too hot.
Is there a kind of air purifier that's recommended for removing mold?

·
Registered
490 Posts
My DH, a general contractor, has used the home mold test kits at work. At least you can test the air quality. My understanding that the only way to remove mold from walls is using a mold removal company or tearing out the sheetrock. I have to agree with you that a dehumidifier can get moldy. There is no way you can completely dry out. I think you can swab test with the kits, which could give you a surface report.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.