Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 29 month old is really testing my patience right now. This combined with bad PMS and being totally mentally fried is making nursing really not fun
He will pull my shirt and scream until I give in. He always wants to nurse with the baby and I want to crawl out of my skin having both children nursing at once. I've been not nice about this lately and yesterday I pulled him off of me and yelled at him to stop.
Henri will only nurse "for real" for a few minutes through let-down, then he gets annoying and comfort nurses or flutter-suckles which gives me some serious heebie-jeebies. I want to keep nursing him, but not if its going to give me such ugly feelings. Help!!!!

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Oh mama, I am sorry you are having such a hard time.
Sounds like you may just be burnt out in general.
If so, can someone help you out? Can you get some time to yourself?

That is a tough one. Are you wanting to set limits?
Problem I see with that is that he could become jealous of baby because he is nursing and he has to wait.

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am burnt out in general. I spend way too much time with the kids and I'm tired of it.

I do want to set limits. And usually that has been okay with Henri, but lately he's been awful and not having any of it.

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by My*Scorpio View Post

Maybe he would respond to only being able to nurse while you sing a song?
I sing a song sometimes to let him know "hey, after this song we're all done" and usually he will stop after that. Other times (lately), he will say NO and grab onto me and start nursing furiously. Ugh. I just worry that if I can't get control of this that I'm going to react too strongly and he will wean because he thinks he's doing something wrong or hurting me. The one time I yelled at him he refused his milky for several hours

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I'm sorry this is so tough. If you want to set limits, can you maybe require him to ask nicely first? Dd will scream and pull and flail if I'm not fast enough when she wants to nurse, and I tell her gently that she has to ask nicely. If she calms down she is more likely to nurse well than if I give in when she is having a fit. She's also more likely to pop off on her own when she's finished really nursing. (Flutter-suckling drives me BONKERS and I don't put up with it)

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
I don't know if it will help your situation at all, but lately at 4 am after DS (3yo) has nursed for what feels like the whole night and I'm just done, I've started telling him "mommy needs a couple minutes to think about it" sometimes it's accomanied by "Mommy doesn't feel like it right now. Can you give me a couple minutes to think about it and I might change my mind" and honestly, just those 2 minutes of calm are enough to make me WANT to nurse him again. Occasionally the answer's no, but not often. I was really surprised when this strategy worked, but DS is very responsive and respectful of my need to just think about it.

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by eirual View Post
I don't know if it will help your situation at all, but lately at 4 am after DS (3yo) has nursed for what feels like the whole night and I'm just done, I've started telling him "mommy needs a couple minutes to think about it" sometimes it's accomanied by "Mommy doesn't feel like it right now. Can you give me a couple minutes to think about it and I might change my mind" and honestly, just those 2 minutes of calm are enough to make me WANT to nurse him again. Occasionally the answer's no, but not often. I was really surprised when this strategy worked, but DS is very responsive and respectful of my need to just think about it.
LOL I've told Henri "Mama doesnt want to nurse you now", but Henri is 2 and totally unreasonable lately. Even sitting there for a minute doesnt help because I spend that minute thinking about how much I DONT want this kid on my boob

I really should have called this thread "Help me with nursing around AF" because thats really the time of the month that this can be a serious problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.