Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do people do this?!?

For the last week or so, I've accomplished absolutely NOTHING at work or at home on my lists of "tasks to do". Not as big a deal at home, but at work, where my husband and I have only had our business open for a year, and it's still not able to support us financially...I really need to get my butt in gear! Instead, I sit here and read posts on our DDC, or google items I might want to get for the baby, or look at endless baby name lists.

Then I think about how hard it is to work with a baby growing inside of me, even when I'm feeling really good, and get completely overwhelmed at the thought of working again after I actually have this baby! But with being a relatively new chiropractor, and coming out of school $160,000 in debt, not working will definitely not be an option!! And I LOVE what I do, well not the office work/get tasks done part, but adjusting people and helping them to express their optimal health and life potential. For me, it can't get much better than that! But there's that part of me that just can't even imagine what it will be like to be here at work with my baby and actually get anything done...when I can't even manage to do so now!

Anyone else going through this or has gone through this before with a first or subsequent pregnancy? Think I could just use some words of support, or actual advice for how to move past this stage and get some work done! My brain and body just don't want to think about our marketing plan, upcoming Open House, or even just washing all the dirty tea mugs sitting on the bottom shelf in our waiting room :). All I can think about is baby, baby, baby. I know we are designed like this for a reason...so that we WILL take care of and nurture ourselves during pregnancy, but it can still be so darned frustrating sometimes!

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Man, I am just like this. I can not imagine working for someone else, and have not for about 5 years, but I am so unorganized and if I am tired, I just go into bed and watch a movie. I know, it is awful.

So, it has been a huge cause of anxiety for me. The best way I have come up with is to think about all the houses of the people I photograph, and also to notice other people's lives on blogs and such.

I guess my big problem is keep the house clean, making it organized, making a nice dinner, getting odd and ends and errands together, and then being a good mom. Then, it is all the little things for my business. Like, since Friday, my Target rep has been asking me to put together a list of the remaining products that they want to buy. And I still have not made it. How IRRESPONSIBLE is that? I am in a ton of debt, and the one thing that would help me get out of it I am just blowing off.

But looking at other people's houses reminds me that I can do it, that I am falling short, and that the way I live is just not ok.

How about you hold me responsible for that today and I will hold you accountable for something?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spring Sun View Post
Like, since Friday, my Target rep has been asking me to put together a list of the remaining products that they want to buy. And I still have not made it.

How about you hold me responsible for that today and I will hold you accountable for something?
Spring Sun - thanks for the feedback! It's somehow good just to know "you're not alone". It is GREAT to work for myself and make all my own decisions, and I trust it will be even better when I get to make the decisions about bringing my baby to work with me or adjusting people with the baby in a sling. But some days it would be so much easier if I just had someone who MADE me get stuff done, knowing that if i didn't, I wouldn't have a job anymore! Really it's the same, because if I don't keep doing the things that need to be done, I WON"T have a job anymore...but it can be hard to remember when I'm feeling like that.

I would LOVE to have you help hold me accountable for something today. The top goal on my list is to follow up with all of the vendors, volunteers, and attendees from the Indigo Festival that we put on almost a month ago. If you could hold me responsible for getting that done today, I would appreciate it. Thanks! And yes, I'll check in to see that you have put together a product list for your Target rep as well.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I so feel you!!!!

I have my own small business as well and I have several orders I REALLY need to get to but I keep putting them off, and that is not good. Because of the pregnancy and some unrelated stress I really seem to get nothing done. I am either online or napping.

The only things that seem to get done around here is when I have an appointment. If I HAVE to be somewhere at a set time on a set day I can make those but everything else ekkkkkkk!

I really hope I find some energy and focus or I am in big trouble!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good luck TankGirl! I finally started getting a few things done yesterday. Just have to remind myself to do one task at a time, instead of looking at EVERYTHING I have to do. So much less overwhelming that way!

And Spring Sun, I tried to message you, but your message box was over quota, but I will definitely hold you accountable and check in with you again tomorrow!

We can do this Mommas!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.