Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried eliminating dairy, and it's made a big difference. I now have a happy baby! I am really missing cheese, though, so please help me out with some ideas of all the things I CAN eat.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I'm sorry you don't have any replies, yet. I can't really help but to say that I know some vegans make a "cheese" sauce that's not dairy. I haven't a clue where you would find that other than in a vegan cookbook but now that I think about it, that would be a great source for non-dairy recipes.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
You might want to try the allergies forum (in Health and Healing) most cheese contains dairy (whey, casin etc..) I re-read this and I meant soy cheese or those things called veggie slices, of course regular cheese contains dairy, I meant the *fake* stuff. I truly wonder who it is made for???? anyway I liked chreese from www.roadsendorganic
not 100% sure on the web page and too tired and lazy to check myself.
google chreese and see what you get.
eliming is hard, but oh so worth it

my DD can tolerate goats milk products. some milk allergies can and some can`t, just trial and see.

HTH,
Kathryn

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
OOhh I have never seen the chreese before - cool I am going to check it out!

I am dairy and soy free because my breastfed DD also reacted - to both! (plus some other things, but those are the big ones)

The only cheese replacer I know of (besides the chreese) that is both dairy and soy free is Veganrella. Even the rice and almond cheeses have either soy or whey in them
: They make both a cheddar and a Mozz. and honestly neither are great - but I do use a little of the cheddar sometimes in burritos (though they are plenty good without it!) or if I am making a pizza I use a little bit of the mozz to help my other toppings stick (my DD reacts to tomato too so my "pizza" is pretty nontraditional!).

For sandwiches I use mayo and also loads of avacado to get a little fat and liven things up. Avacado also works well in a "quesadilla" - I just mash it up and spread it inside the tortilla then add black beans and maybe a little chicken. Black bean, sweet potato and a little chicken, cilantro and avacado make a great burrito!

I do lots of roasted chicken, fish, turkey burgers, chicken sausages on the grill, grilled veggies, salads, soups, beans of all sorts, lentils, shrimp skewers with veggies, rice pilaf (watch for dairy hidden in those - near east has some boxed ones that are okay, but some are not!).

I adapted a great chicken pot pie recipe using plain rice milk in the filling as a sub. It is awesome - DH loves it!

Almond butter with apples or celery is a great snack. PB is good too. And of course sandwiches with either. Watch out for dairy in bread!

I use the pilaf and add garbanzo beans and baby spinach and top with a little olive or flax oil.

I make homemade pesto without cheese and use it for my pizza and for pasta and sandwich spreads. It isn't as creamy of course, but it still tastes very good.

I made some chicken pesto calzones and added a little of the Mozz veganrella. Not bad! Decent leftover too.

Coconut milk, almond milk and rice milk work in many recipes as substitutes.

Coconut oil and Spectrum Shortening (organic palm oil) are non-hydrogenated options for butter replacers when oil won't do. If you can have soy you can use Earth Balance. With these you can make pastry, cookies, biscuits, etc.

Most dark chocolate is dairy free!!! Yippee! Just be sure to read the label (as with everything when you have food allergies) just to be sure.

Fruit crisps, pies and cookies (all homemade of course) are good dessert options for a treat and pretty easy to do dairy free.

There is a non-dairy yogurt starter that you can buy online and there was a thread a while ago about making homemade coconut milk yogurt! I haven't done it yet but another dairy free mama here has made it with pretty good results.

I won't lie - I crave cheese too! And yogurt....and sour cream.....
But there are things you can do to cope and it's kind of fun figuring out new recipes. Good luck!! I hope this helps a little

Your babe is very lucky to have a caring mama who is willing to do this!!!

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I would say do NOT try to take cheesy things you used to like and de-cheese them. It will just make you miss the cheese even more. Try finding some yummy brand-new dairy-free recipes.

A good resource might be kosher recipes. They have a dairy restriction, so anything that is kosher and has meat in it will be dairy-free.

Also I just found this yesterday and it looks pretty cool:
http://www.pccnaturalmarkets.com/recipes/index.html just check off the dairy-free option

Also all vegan recipes will be cheese-free, as well as paleodiet recipes.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
i sometimes make a fabulous nutritional yeast "cheese" sauce. there is a recipe for it in "the farm vegetarian cookbook." i change it up and add a lot less flour, a LOT more nut. yeast, and some curry powder. it doesnt taste like cheese, but its really really good!!! ill post a recipe if you want.

you can make a really good cream cheese spread if you take non dairy yogurt (either nut or soy) and strain out the whey. then you add salt and spices. you can also use this to make ricotta style cheese, for manicotti, lasagna etc.

cathe posted a good recipe for cashew yogurt- basically its just pureed raw cashews, left to sit out for 24 hours- no starter necessary. its REALLY good!! sunflower seeds can also be fermented, and they taste kind of like sour cream. check out "wild fermentation" for recipes, or i can post it if you are interested.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by homemademomma
i sometimes make a fabulous nutritional yeast "cheese" sauce. there is a recipe for it in "the farm vegetarian cookbook." i change it up and add a lot less flour, a LOT more nut. yeast, and some curry powder. it doesnt taste like cheese, but its really really good!!! ill post a recipe if you want.

you can make a really good cream cheese spread if you take non dairy yogurt (either nut or soy) and strain out the whey. then you add salt and spices. you can also use this to make ricotta style cheese, for manicotti, lasagna etc.

cathe posted a good recipe for cashew yogurt- basically its just pureed raw cashews, left to sit out for 24 hours- no starter necessary. its REALLY good!! sunflower seeds can also be fermented, and they taste kind of like sour cream. check out "wild fermentation" for recipes, or i can post it if you are interested.
Hey mama I know I would love those recipes! I have Cathe's cashew yogurt recipe ( though I haven't made it yet) but I'd love to try the sunflower seed "sour cream" and the Nutritional yeast "cheese sauce".

While I do agree with the PP that trying to alter your favorite cheesy recipes can lead to much disappointment, I have to say that after 8 months of no dairy or soy, I would love to have something that remotely resembled something cheesy! Sure it isn't the same - but that doesn't mean it won't be good!

But yeah, you might not want to start off with that. I'd start by trying different recipes and different types of great food that don't rely on dairy in the first place.

Oh, and I meant to mention in my original post that Thai, Vietnamese and Japanese cuisine have many dairy free recipes that are de-lish!!

One more thing - most of the recipes that I try to "sub out" a non-dairy item are recipes that only have a small amount of dairy in the first place (at least those with cheese or milk) and I have had the most success with those. In those cases a little vegan "cheese" or rice milk works because it isn't the primary flavor in the dish. Hope that makes sense!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts