Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, may I just say that a few months ago I posted some beginner-knitter questions and got so much good advice! Thank you! I'm now getting better at this knitting caper and really, really enjoying it!!!

Anyway, I just borrowed a book called "Quick Baby Knits"by Debbie Bliss from the library. It has some beautiful patterns in it (most way to complicated for me still) but I thought I would try some garter stitch booties.

Pattern started as:

Cast on 36 sts. K 21 rows.

Shape Instep:

Next row K24, turn
Next row K12, turn
K 24 rows on this set of sts only

OK, so I got to this point and had what was basically an L-shaped piece of knitting. Maybe I got this wrong? But the next part is where I realised I had no idea what she mean't:

Break off yarn
With right side facing, rejoin yarn at base of instep
(where is that???) and K up 12 sts along side edge of instep.
K across 12 sts of instep
K up 12 sts along other side if instep,
K remaining 12 sts.
60 sts. K 13 rows. Break off yarn.

What does she mean by knitting 'up' 12 stitched, then across etc etc?? Sorry, but I'm so confused! Help!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I just wrote a huge reply explaining all about sock/bootie knitting...but I think those instructions are wrong... or I'm not as experienced a knitter as I like to believe I am LOL.

I do think you made a mistake in the beginning - you should've worked the 21 rows on your original 36 stitches, turned your work as if you were going to work your 22nd row but only knit 24 out of the 36 stitches. Turn your work to go back in the other direction, leaving 12 stitches "unworked", and knit 12 stitches. Turn again and just knit back and forth on those 12 stiches for 24 rows.

Let me ask you this - what kind of needles are you using? DPNs?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Alaska,

Thanks for your reply! I am not even sure what DPNs are! Oops. That's how much of a beginner I am. I am using bamboo needles for this.

I think you are right about the beginning section - I messed up somewhere so should have ended up with a T-shape (I think?) hence the knitting "up" and ''along side edge' etc. But Im still confused as to how I am supposed to knit 'up'. I think these booties are too hard......... it's a shame beacuse they looked so cute in the photo.

ETA - just realised DPN are double-pointed kneedles! doh.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
You can do it! knitting up along the edge is easy. Most patterns I've seen call it "picking up and knitting" though. And even that is kind of a misnomer, because you're not actually "knitting" anything...you're just picking up new stitches. I find it easiest to pick up stitches with a crochet hook, by the way. The purpose behind picking up and knitting is to make the bootie round, and what you're doing, is creating new stitches where there are none.

right now, your knitting looks like a "T" and you've broken your yarn so your skein is "unattached". Start on the bottom right side - where your instep (the perpendicular piece) meets the bar of the "T"

You now need to evenly pick up 12 stitches. Insert your crochet hook into a stitch so it pokes out through the back, hook your yarn and pull your yarn through the stitch. now you have a loop of yarn coming through your stitch, right? put that loop knitwise on a new needle. now insert your crochet hook into the next stitch of your insert to pick up your next new stitch. grab your yarn with your hook and pull it through, put the loop you pulled through on your needle. Now you have two new stitches on your needle. Continue in this manner until you have picked up 12 stitches. Now knit across the 12 stitches of your instep. now drop your needle, pick up your crochet hook, and pick up 12 stitches down the other side of the instep and when that's done, knit across the last 12 stitches. Note that the first 12 stitches of your work, the top right of the bar of the T - aren't worked in this round.

and if that's confusing, try http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/bas...iques/misc.php
scroll down to "picking up stitches"

and post a pic when you're done!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alaska – Thank you SO much. Thank you for taking the time to write that out! I really appreciate it. I am definitely going to try it now. The thing is, after I abandoned these booties I began a simpler pair (made by knitting three squares, folding and stitching them together to form a slipper) but I really want to try these more complicated ones still. Now, with your instructions I understand what it means, so feel more confident in trying. I will finish my current pair and then I promise to post a pic of the new ones when I have finished!! Of course, we might all be old and grey by then!! Lol. Thank you again!!

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
These are Debbie Bliss bootees, made with exactly the same shaping but the first 10 rows are different. These are the first thing I ever knitted, made with the same pattern. They are really, really simple and you can do this.
BUT Debbie Bliss patterns aren't always easy to read.
To explain to the viewing public, the bootee is shaped using a combination of short rows and picking up stitches. There's one seam at the back of the bootee.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Flapjack - thanks for your reply. Your booties look very good - especially seeing as one pair was the first thing you ever knitted!
I hope mine will look that good......

I really like the Debbie Bliss patterns. The clothes are gorgeous but Im not at the stage of jumpers and cardigans yet. However, I agree with you that they are a bit hard to read - her abbreviations do seem to be a little different. I borrowed another British knitting pattern book from the library recently called Kid's Knits by Lesley Ann Price. It's from the early 1980's and it has the sweetest patterns in it. Again, mostly way too complicated for me, but I did manage the legwarmers for my little one!!

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I just have to say I LOVE that book! I am almost finished the "Basket-Weave Jacket". I used a hunter green wool with little different colors flecks in it.I'm also using some pewter shank-buttons with little celtic knots. I am really liking how it is turning out!
It will be a perfect Autumn sweater for DS!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts