Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, here is the problem. Both older kids want to sleep with a parent and the baby *has* to sleep with me. The kids have a full sized bed in thier room and we have a queen in ours.<br><br>
Dh has tried sleeping in their bed till they fall alseep and then moving, or even just staying there, but then one will say "I want to sleep with mommy." And that is a problem becuase the baby may fuss and I need to stay up with her, and then the older child wants to wait till I go back to bed. Then older child #2 realizes their sibling is not in bed and "wants to stay up too."<br><br>
I am all for a family bed, but there is no way of fitting both beds in our room. Our room is small and does not deserve to be called the master bedroom. We had to shove the bed in the corner just to make room for the dresser. We could *maybe* fit a king in our room if we gave up what little floor space there is, but we cant afford one.<br><br>
I tried having the older ones do sleeping bags on the floor in my room but they want to be with at least one of us. Plus there is serioulsy no room. One would have to lay at the foot of the bed and the other along the side. And that takes the *whole* walking space.<br><br><br>
So what solutions do you guys have for making bedtimes work? I wanted to mention that solutions OTHER than the family bed are fine - just so long as we all get sleep and it doesn't involve snapping at kids to go back to bed or making them cry. We tried leaving after the bedtime story and letting the two of them sleep together w/o parents - but they kept getting out of bed and cried.

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
Hmmm I can't think of anything right now but have you asked the kids for thier help? Maybe they have a good solution?

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
What about thinking outside the box of the master bedroom? Since your bedroom is obviously on the smaller side, are the other rooms bigger? Smaller? The same?<br><br>
What about having a "sleeping room", and have another room be the "dressing room"?<br><br>
We had that setup in our old place, where there were funky walls that jutted out randomly, making placement of dressers tricky. So we put the dressers in another room, and just had the bedroom be the sleeping room.<br><br>
We were actually going to move the bed into one of the smaller rooms, but they faced the parking lot, and we had very rude and loud neighbors, so that didn't come to fruition, though it would have allowed for a HUGE dresser and playspace in the "master bedroom" room.<br><br>
Anyway, there's no law that says you have to have dressers in your bedroom, and if it would give you more room to put them out, or to move the bed/s to another room...and if that would make for a happier family, that would be good!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
We actually are now doing the 'bed in one room, dressers in the other' arrangement. Mostly to keep the bedroom more toddler proof and also so dh doesn't wake ds up when he gets ready for work.<br><br>
Would having your mattress on the floor help (that's what we do, not for space concerns but for safety for 2-yr-old ds)? Maybe you could fit a twin mattress next to your mattress, and/or at the foot. You wouldn't need any walking room since you could just get right into bed from anywhere...?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WE only have two berooms and in the kid's room is 2 dressers, a bookshelf, and all thier toys already. There is no room for our dresser too - plus that is their playroom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts