Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 5 yr old dd got a really bad case of a stomach virus. On Sunday morning she started throwing up and continued until late on Monday. Could not even keep water down. Now, she isn't vomiting anymore, but she still has diareah(SP?) and a slight temp. She doesn't want to eat, but I feel like she probably needs something to keep her energy up. I have just been giving her bread, rice, and pedialyte because she is refusing everything else.

I was just wondering if there is anything else I should be doing or giving to her. She has never been this sick before and it's a little scary for me.

Thanks!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Right now keeping her hydrated is the most important thing. If she'll eat the rice(very easy to digest) and bread that's great, but if not hydration is important especially if she continues to vomit.
HTH, Kelso

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I always find warm ginger tea stays down the best when sick. I dry my own pieces of ginger and then make tea from it (or you can buy them at a tea store). It's pretty mild, and soothing on the stomach.

PP is right, hydration is the most imporant thing. When she is ready to eat she will ask you for what she wants, and that's usually what's best.

You might also try probiotics since her intestines are getting flushed out.

g.

·
Registered
14,488 Posts
I agree with the PPs.

Don't encourage a child that has a stomach virus, to eat. Let her tell you when she is ready. Food at this point will not give her strength. It will only cause more energy to digest and vomit. It delays healing.

She will tell you when she is hungry.

Keep her hydrated. Homemade Gatorade is water with a bit of sea salt and a small amount of honey. It is far better than Gatorade.

I also agree with the Ginger Tea but no all kids like it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.