Mothering Forum banner

need some suggestions for using up pecans.....

628 Views 10 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  snugglebutter
We have a bunch that are taking up space in the freezer. Any suggestions? We don't like them in cookies and I'm not about to bake a pie or anything like that.

Thanks!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
how about using them as a salad topping?
See less See more
How about lightly toasting them, then sprinkling with sugar of your choice?

Also, serve a few with cheese, fruit dried or fresh, (Au Bon Pain has a little cheese plate with dried fruit, and some gourmet cheese).

How about making granola bars? There's sure to be some recipes here, or on recipezaar.com
melt a heaping tablespoon of butter in a pan and add in a couple of cups of pecans. Cook for about five min. Add a couple of tablespoons of brown sugar (I just use regular organic sugar) let it liquify in the pan. This is the spice mix the REBAR cookbook suggests 1 tsp chili powder, 1 tsp ground corriander, 1/2 tsp paprika,1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper,1/4 tsp cayenne. Stir these in really well to distribute the spices evenly. Add 3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to the pan and cook until the liquid evaporates.Roast these nuts in the oven (300 degrees F, about 7 min, line the pan with wax paper)
I use these on salads... if they last until then!
You can also roast them lightly: put in the nuts, tamari to coat in a pan (I use cast iron). When the liquid disappers into the nuts, and they look roasted, you're done.

Or pound them small, then mix them up in pancake mix. Or, if warming syrup, put them in with the syrup. (Careful with the kids).
I love pecans in granola and hot oatmeal. You could also make pralines.
Mashed sweet potatoes topped with chopped pecans (and a little brown sugar
: ). Mmmmmmm....
See less See more
This is my all-time favorite recipe for nuts. Great for snacking or as a salad topping:

Spicy Maple Nuts

1/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 cups of nuts (Pecans are the best in this recipe!)

Stir syrup and spices in a small bowl. Toast the nuts in a large skillet over med-high heat for about 2-5 minutes, stirring. Pour the syrup mixture and cook 15-20 seconds, stirring until well coated. Remove from heat and cool.

YUM!
See less See more
Pecan waffles!

I second the salad-topping idea, too. Pecans are great in spinach salad with some sort of fruit or a fruit dressing.

~Nick
See less See more
We all love pecans on top of french toast or waffles or pancakes with some blueberries or strawberries and maple syrup. Also use them in banana bread. Yum.

Or chopped up and mixed with some flour to coat chicken or even fish.
Thank you for all of the GREAT ideas!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.