Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here's the story, some it may sound familiar as I have asked questions in the past which inlcuded my issues.

My DD is almost 17 months(will be in beginning of October). She nurses 6 times in 24 hours. Usually 6am, 9am, 12pm(before nap), 3:30pm, 7pm(before bed), and one night nurse around 11pm. I have to wean her before the end of December and need to know what is the best way to do it? Like which sessions should I cut out first and then after that? Then what do I do to wean her from nursing almost to sleep to not at all.

This is so hard to type. I am literally crying my eyes out as I write this. If I get this upset over weaning my gosh how am I even gonna let her go to Kindergarden? I never thought it would hurt so bad, but I love nursing her. I love the quiet moments before she falls asleep. I love how I talk to her and tell her how much I love her while she nurses. I really don't know how I am going to handle this, but I know I need to.

The reason I have to wean is beause I have to have mouth surgery to get tori(bone growth) removed. My osteopath says that the tori are causing much of my fatigue(on top of my adrenal fatigue, chronic fatigue, and epstein barr of 387). It's pushing my tongue up to the roof of my mouth because the bones have filled in where my tongue should be. This effects many things and not only is it making my TMJ worse, but I get saliva in the corners of my mouth beacsue it blocks it from drainig naturally. In addition both her and my ND have told me I need to wean so I can detox, and take stronger medications(herbal) to combat the epstein barr and adrenal fatigue. I might be able to make it through a couple more months and deal with the fatigue/weakness in regards to the stronger supplements and detox. But I don't think I can wait on the surgery. I have been told that recovery is going to be long and hard and my body can't take nursing and recovering, not to mention the medications I will be on for it. Plus financially it will be easier on us if I get it before the year is over since I have already met my deductable for this year.

Then there is the whole issue of should I give her any other type of milk. She has never had dairy except for some butter. She is thin but I have been told it's normal for the way I feed her. The only grains she gets is low gluten and usually soaked, lots of avocados, peas, blueberries, eggs, some chicken and steak, and other fruits and veggies.

So please if you can give me some advice I would really appreciate it. I need all the help with this I can get.

Thanks,
Shannon

Also wanted to ask for ideas on what I can do as a special thing between us instead of nursing. My husband gives her butterfly kisses, but I would like something that would be just ours.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The main concern is the medication I will be on during and after the surgery. Then the issue of my health becausse of the epstein barr/adrenal fatigue/etc and trying to recover from the surgery. hey think my body won't be able to handle it along with nursing. Lastly is wanting to give me stronger/herbal supplements to combat the epstein barr and adrenal fatigue.
I am waiting for the referral(spelling??) so I can ask about the specific medications. But honestly I agree that I don't think my body can handle the nursing and recovery. I wish I didn't, but I do.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I'm so sorry - this has to be a very difficult decision for you, and to be so tired on top of it.

I would start w/the 9 am and/or the 3:30 pm feedings. This will be easier than getting rid of the sessions associated w/waking or going to sleep.

I do "snuggle" time w/my preschooler. He's huge now, but I hold him on my lap, sing to him and rub his head or his back. Sometimes he'll come to me, "I need to snuggle." Melts my heart.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I placed a hold on the book by Hale, hopefully it's the new edition. I'm going to call a lactation consultant on Monday and as soon as I get the info from the doc I will look it up. In the meantime I am planning on taking out the 9am feeding. She never asks for it and just in case I was thinking of pumping at this time to stck up some milk. I am hoping that if I take fenugreek and pump once a day I can build up enough milk to get me to 2 years. Is this completely unreasonable? I have no idea how much I will need, and how often to pump. I have a good pump, a Medela PISA. But I am wondering if 1x a day will be enough pumping.
Thanks for the help momma's it means so much to me to have your support.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Well I agree that you should check Hale's book before deciding to 100% wean. But I also understand that it's not just the medication. Your poor body needs a break. Whether that's complete weaning or cutting back to only one or two nursings a day is only for you to decide.

Either way, I suggest starting with "don't offer, don't refuse" for a little bit. Then move on to distraction techniques for daytime nursings. The before nap and before bed should be the last to go. And those you will probably have to replace nursing with some other comfort measure. I knew a mom who wanted to get her son to put himself to sleep without nursing or crying. So she took him to Build A Bear workshop and they made a whole day of it, lunch, park, bear, etc. Then everytime she nursed him she'd have him go get the bear and cuddle it between them while he nursed. Then slowly when he asked to nurse she'd say "in a few minutes...go get bear until I'm ready to nurse you and cuddle with him" She lengthened the amount of time she made him wait until one night he just fell asleep on his own, cuddling his bear.

Of course expect set backs...she starts to teeth maybe, or has a cold. Those times give her nursing.

It is possible to wean gently and lovingly. And if your health is at stake here, there's no shame in it whatsoever. And who knows? Your may need to only take a few months off until your body has a chance to rebuild some strength. My son weaned for four months at the end of my pregnancy and during the newborn stage, then started nursing again when my second son was 6 weeks old and he's right back where he left off now. I think we'll be nursing for a while longer

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by shannyshan View Post
But honestly I agree that I don't think my body can handle the nursing and recovery. I wish I didn't, but I do.
How about cutting down rather than weaning? if your child was only nursing 2 or 3 times rather than six it'd be easier on your body.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.