Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>My DD is pretty much potty trained, occasional accidents or slight leaks, but generally solid. The problem now is her behavior in the bathroom while I need to also take care of her new sister. She used to understand correct behavior, now she's: taking hoards of toilet paper, throwing it on the floor or the toilet, using crazy amounts of soap, and letting the water run for 5 minutes at a time on full blast.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>She's really distractable right now while at the same time being insanely good at concentrating, for instance sometimes i think she's just staring at the bubbles on her hands while our water runs down the drain. Part of it I think is acting up for attention.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>It gets me really mad, so I need to change something because this is having a big impact on our day. She clearly used to know how to do all of these things without wasting everything. I am trying to get there as soon as I possibly can to monitor the situation, but I can't always be right there with the baby having needs too, and I can't make her wait as she isn't good at holding it because she keeps waiting until 5 seconds past the last possible second, wetting her underwear some, because of the insane concentration on whatever else she was doing.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I am often turning off the water for her and there for the hand washing, but frequently find the toilet paper on the floor and soap on the sink. I try to sing 'wash wash wash your hands...' for positive reinforcement, slow and fast to make a game of it. But she's just dragging everything out and but I can't leave or else she trashes my bathroom and wastes our stuff.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Other than bribing her with a small candy (which I wanted to avoid) for accomplishing all of the following: dry underwear, reasonable soap and toilet paper, and finish in under 5 minutes. I'm not sure how else to make this happen, any ideas?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>ETA: i've put the toilet paper out of reach before and I may just do that again to at least prevent that problem, but she does want to do it herself and I don't want to discourage her independence.</p>

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
<p>I think I'd put the toilet paper out of reach but leave out enough for one time (so tear off a few sheets & leave them folded in reach). As for the water & soap turning off the water yourself is probably the best solution but you could switch the soap to a bar (I'm assuming you're using a pump) or one of those pumps that infuse air into the soap making it foamy - either way she won't be able to waste as much soap. Fwiw's - soap is not something I'd stress about wasting.</p>

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
<p>liquid to bar helped here.</p>
<p>what bout putting up the toilet paper and for her use a auto pop up wipe. there is flushable kinds.</p>
<p>maybe for a reward type thing a sticker book or pennies in a jar. not working towards something just for her to see she has done good. </p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts