Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son will be 2 in February.

It's getting really irksome-feeling to nurse him. Cringing, sometimes. It's like he's nursing differently. This "yucky feeling" has been going on for several months.

In response, I've been using some gentle-weaning techniques. I want to let him self-wean, and I know that isn't the same as gentle weaning. Basically, I haven't been offering. If he wants to nurse during the day, sitting up, I let him as long as he wants. But at night or naps, I've been asking if he can wait till morning, or asking him to unlatch after 5 minutes (or 10, or whatever). If he still wants to nurse, I let him, but it has really cut down his night nursings. He actually fell asleep last night without nursing, and he's slept through the night about 1/3 of this past month. He's never slept through the night before. Oh, and we co-sleep.

So. Please tell me to get over it, he's only going to be a baby once, and the benefits of bonding with mommy outweighs my own private squeamishness. I've only got one friend who is still nursing her same age baby. My sister nursed her baby till 2, but because my son LOOKS big, she actually asked me over thanksgiving if he weren't getting kinda old to nurse! The person I thought I had 100% support from. My husband is supportive no matter what I do, as long as I don't let the baby cry (he is a good guy
)

Is it normal to feel so squeamish? Does it pass? Is it all in my head? ARGH!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had next to no support to nurse till my son turned 2, I have NO support (other than my husband) to nurse beyond that.

It's great to be encouraged to keep thinking in the long term. Thanks especially to the last poster. I needed that

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.