Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, dd1 is almost three, and when she nurses she clenches her teeth or something, in a way that makes her top teeth cut into my aereola. It's at the point where I can barely stand to nurse her most of the time, and she is very distraught by this. I got some books from LLL about weaning, but it's clear to me she's not ready. In fact, when I broached it with her, just mentioning the idea that maybe someday she wouldn't nurse anymore, she began sobbing lightly, and didn't think it was possible. We have a lot of things going on right now with potty regression and still adjusting to sisterhood, that makes weaning a bad idea anyway, imo. However, I've brought it up at 2, maybe 3 separate LLL meetings, and the only advice I get is to wean. This is not really what I want, though I'm keen on reducing the number of times she nurses, which I have already had to do out of necessity (I do not nurse my kids at the same time - can't bear it), though dd2 is often ok to play near us while dd1 nurses (but she can get pretty jealous and starts to climb all over us).<br><br>
Anyway, dd1's mouth is pretty big, but I want to try and make this work. Please help us!

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
my son is 4.7, and he does this too. he's done it for quite some time now. i don't have any answers really, except share what i do,which is tell him he can't nurse right now if he does that. i'm glad he's old enough to talk to me about it!<br>
sometimes i tell him "no teeth, just use lips and tongue". sometimes i tell him he needs to open his mouth wider. there are times when he realizes that it's tiring for him to open his mouth, and so he rests his top teeth down. i tell him that he can't do that because it really, really hurts mama, and i can't nurse if it's so painful for me.<br>
sometimes i tell him...i know this sounds graphic, but i have to sometimes relate my feelings to his so he can try to understand...i say "you know how your penis/nipples/pick a sensitive body part is more sensitive than the rest of your body? that's how my nummies feel", and the light kind of clicks on and he goes ".....OH! sorry, mommy".<br>
i tell him we can try again later, as soon as my num-nums stop hurting.<br>
at three i think she realizes that you can give her a chance or two, then stop the nursing right then and there, tell her why, and make sure she understands the causal relationship between her teeth and the stopping-nursing. my son doesn't even realize he's doing it sometimes, and i have to point it out. over and over and over.<br><br>
sorry that's all i can offer, but i HTH!<br>
pamela

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
oh, and i forgot, sometimes *at the time*, i gently take the back of his hand and press his own top teeth against it, to show him how sharp even a gentle pressing can be! that seems to get the point across too.<br>
but again, each time is like a new time. i have to remind him again and again and again!!<br><br>
pamela

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Us too. Ds closes his mouth tightly and that presses his upper teeth into me. I stop him and ask him to relatch. He too needs to be reminded often. He will unlatch when he's done and proudly claim, "I didn't pinch you, I nursed good!" even if he really didn't, he doesn't want to hurt me and seems distressed by it when he sees the teeth marks.<br><br>
He also has this horrible way of latching on that slurps the nipple in under tight suction, omg it hurts so much but that, I can't get him to change very well. I tell him to open wide and put out his tongue, he tries, giggling, but often forgets.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
oh ouch, i kwym about that slurping!!! have you ever had him do it on a part of your breast that isn't nipple or aereola??? now THAT'S an ouch, man alive!!<br><br>
pamela

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, when the latch isn't right, we stop. sometimes i try again, up to three times, but sometimes i can't bear to. she gets very whiny and sobby, even if i suggest we cuddle or to another activity together.<br>
i find when she opens her mouth wide, it's so big she couldn't possibly nurse that way. so she ends up closing her mouth quite a bit, and by then the teeth are in.<br>
glad to know we aren't the only ones!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts