Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started co-washing/co-pooing (not sure which is the technical term) 2 weeks ago and I can't believe it's actually working! But I don't know how to do the vinegar rinse, when to do it, how to do it, how often. And do I NEVER shampoo again?

· Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
more info: I 'wash' my hair with conditioner and then rinse with water. That's it. I got the idea from this post here on MDC. So far, so good. Has tons of shine, my hair STOPPED falling out! Which is why I want to know more about this no-pooing thing.

thanks!

· Registered
911 Posts
I totally depends on your hair. I do CO most of the time I might shampoo once a month or something but then I usually regret it because it dries my hair out. I don't use vinegar. The most important thing to do with Co is to masage your scalp every time for several minutes with the CO & your fingertips. It is really improtant to clean the scalp & it takes a little more effort since you aren't using any detergents.

· Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so the conditioner/water/massage combo is 'washing' my hair? this is a new concept for me...but I see the results and my hair has stopped falling out AND it doesn't get oily by day #2...

· Registered
6,413 Posts
I "co-pooed" for years (didn't know there was a name for it!!) -- didn't use any vinegar or anything, just the conditioner. However when I switched to vinegar only (no conditioner or poo) not long ago, my hair DRASTICALLY improved!! But one step at a time I guess
-- just something you might want to consider trying down the line! I don't have greasy hair, I did use baking soda & poo once when DH got vaseline in my hair (YUCK) but other than that there's no need for anything further. Oh and I do comb my hair well under the hot water.

· Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by crunchy_mommy View Post
I "co-pooed" for years (didn't know there was a name for it!!) -- didn't use any vinegar or anything, just the conditioner. However when I switched to vinegar only (no conditioner or poo) not long ago, my hair DRASTICALLY improved!!
so you just use vinegar? white distilled? and that's it? how? this is all new to me

· Registered
6,413 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MommyHawk View Post
so you just use vinegar? white distilled? and that's it? how? this is all new to me

No, apple cider vinegar. I'm not sure if white vinegar would work the same or not??? But yes, just rinse your hair under the hot water. Comb it all out. Then pour on the vinegar (you could also do a spray bottle if that's easier). I keep a bottle in the shower that's about 1/4 vinegar and 3/4 water. Doesn't have to be exact. Pour some on & comb it through & then rinse really well (otherwise you'll smell like a pickle!!! But even then, the smell dissipates pretty quickly so don't worry!) Some people add a few drops of an essential oil to their vinegar rinse for a nice scent.

I started out doing the vinegar every day & now I just do in when needed (maybe 2-3 times a week). Baking soda only when my hair is really gross for some reason, though if you have very oily hair you may need baking soda more often.

I used to go through an entire bottle of conditioner every week just to get my hair looking halfway decent!! Now I save soooo much money and my hair is way shinier & healthier!

· Registered
2,695 Posts
I too no-poo... I haven't had much luck with CO only, it doesn't seem to work for my hair. As for vinegar, I have used both ACV and distilled white vinegar, with similar results. for vinegar, I mix in a cup and pour from about the bottom of my ears down my hair. I leave it in for a min or two and rinse.

I wrote a few blog posts on it, if you'd like to view: http://www.koofie.com/category/health-body/hair (Mods, feel free to remove if it is a problem... If removed go to my website in my profile and click on the hair category.

· Registered
1,355 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beautiful~Life View Post
For those that only use conditioner does your hair ever get greasy?

Yes, but it takes longer to get oily than it used to when I used shampoo.

· Registered
6,413 Posts
Quote:

Mine never did but I have pretty dry hair to begin with.

· Registered
4,400 Posts
Quote:

My DH "washes" his hair with conditioner and his hair does not get oily. His scalp is already oily (dry hair, oily scalp, weird), so you'd think it would make matters worse. It doesn't. It makes everything more even and happy.

Two things:
1. I think it bears repeating that you want to use conditioner that has NO SILICONE products in it at all. Silicones themselves aren't so bad for your hair. HOWEVER, they require harsh shampoos/detergents to get them out of your hair or they build up and make your hair look greasy and heavy and limp, etc. Silicone products are not always easy to spot in the ingredient lists. The curly hair community board has great info on finding the right conditioner for your hair type (even if it isn't curly per se).

2. What we put into our bodies is just as important as what we put on them. Many times hormones and less-than-ideal eating habits create the hair problems many of us have. Changing those through our food and supplements often changes our hair (and skin, etc) and how it reacts to cleansing and care.

For my DH, vitamin D seemed to be lacking. He takes a walk on his lunch break now and adds some time in the evening outside when it is light when he gets home (dead of winter isn't conducive to this, obviously). We also started taking vitamin D3 supplements this past Fall. Between the sunshine and the added D, DH's scalp and hair are MUCH healthier!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.