Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!
I just need to vent a little. We woke up early Sunday morning and our daughter was making a wierd noise occassionally when she inhaled and was crying. My hubby called our nurse hotline and they told us to take her to the ER. I am not big on conventional medicine and didn't think she had anything wrong with her, but my husband seemed worried so I went along with taking her in (my hubby's little brother always had bad croup). We get in the hospital and the doctor gives us this HUGE lecture because we are not vaccinating our child. It was insane. Anyway, then we tell him about waking up to the strange noise and he immediately interupted and said, "She doesn't sleep with you, does she?" When we told him we did he went on a big lecture about how we could smother her. Anyway, my daughter (Cadence) ended up being okay, but the doctor insisted on giving her a steroid shot. My hubby and I BOTH told hime "NO WAY!" We took her to our family doctor (who she has only seen once) and he told us that he was 100% behind us and that under no circumstances should we ever let a doctor give her steroids unless it is an emergency. I was SO mad at the ER doctor. Has anyone had any similar experiences??!??!?!?!?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have not had a similar experience but that is so ridiculous!!! Makes it very hard to trust doctors. I can't stand the ignorance! Good thing you guys know what you're doing.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Rrrrrrgg, I would be so cheesed off. Did he actually give your daughter the shot or were you able to stop him?

And to lecture you about vaxing & cosleeping, how ignorant - and inappropriate. You didn't come to the er looking for advice on these issues. I'm not big on conventional medicine either - I tend not to trust doctors, because of experiences like yours. Hopefully you'll never have to see this guy again & I'm glad you have a very supportive ped.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I took my daughter to her ped for a first visit when she was 3 months old, just because I wanted her to have someone that she had met before if anything were ever seriously wrong. Well, we told him about not vaxing, and he was semi ok with it, but then he's like "well, I had to give a 7 year old a tetanus shot the other day and the little boy cried because he didn't want it. I know you don't want to vaccinate your child, but vaccinating a baby is easier than giving a needle to a 7 year old, so that is something to consider."

I was like um, I'm not going to change my mind and vaccinate my child just because if they need a shot at a later age it will be harder to get them to take it!!

That being said, when I was pregnant, I was left in the hallway of the ER for 9 hours with severe kidney pain (I have a history) and they didn't even check the baby's heartrate. The doctor was an absolute *$&# and basically laughed at me when I was in tears over the fact that I might have to take antibiotics.

Ok I'm done!
ER doctors are the worst though....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We got out of that ER as fast as possible. We didn't let that doctor touch her. What a moron! I would love to find an all natural remedy hospital - wouldn't that be great?!?!?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I had to take my 4 year old son to er a few weeks ago. He bumped his head in the shower and was acting like he had a concussion.

When we got there he just started burning up with fever. One of the first questions they asked me was if he was current on vaccinations. I lied and said yes, to avoid discussion on the subject. His temp was 104.

They wanted to give him a spinal tap! I ended up refusing and took him home. He ran a temp, pretty high for a few more days and is now fine. Doctors never cease to amaze me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts