Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I know I am supposed to love my pregnant body, but.....or should I say butt. I am I the only one just feeling fat. I am seeing cellulite in places I didn't before. I am fine with my belly getting bigger, but the fat going other places is starting to drive me nuts. Actually, it probably wouldn't drive me as crazy if I weren't so HUNGRY and if I weren't craving dairy, chocolate and sweets. At my 30 week appointment I was up 26 lbs. I really wanted to avoid the 40 lbs gain that I put on with my son, but can't seem to get things under control. Worse yet, it is getting hotter than blazes and I can only stay cool in shorts, so it means showing more skin that I would like. Please tell me I am not the only one feeling like this.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
You're certainly not the only one! I'm up 40lbs at 34 weeks.. I eat well and I move as much as my body allows, so there isn't much I can do about it. I gained 45lbs with DS1 and lost it all in 7 months. So, the only thing that gets me through is knowing that I need the weight to breastfeed and that it'll all be gone soon!

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Allow me to offer this small consolation:

In the first three months postpartum your body will burn approx. an extra 300-400 calories a day from stored body fat. Which means that as long as you eat reasonably in those first few months, a great deal of those new fat deposits will go away on their own.

I know it's not fun to see them there now, but they'll go away... trust me, I've been there three times before.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
It has been hard for me too. I lost 63lbs after Innish. Gained 32lbs w/ Eiley, just reached my PP weight then got pregnant. I have gained 40lbs at 31 weeks. My butt, hips and thighs have really grown. I keep talking to myself, you will lose it, but it has been hard.

·
Premium Member
8,518 Posts
You aren't he only one feeling like that. And I don't think it really has anything to do with the amount of weight you've gained. At my last appointment I'd gained 10lbs. And yet, the cellulite on my thighs is getting really bad. I said something about it the other day and DH was like "oh yeah, it's getting awful!"
It shows when I wear shorts now which it never did before.

And I've started to get a few stretch marks, which I had anticipated. Only they aren't on my belly - they're at the top of my thighs. They're not serious yet, and there's only a couple, but I know this is just the beginning.

Why are my LEGS getting fatter? arg
:

I'm not a vain person, but it's hard for me to see these changes and be happy about them!

·
Banned
4,712 Posts
Normally I love my body pregnant, but something about being already bigger than I prefer by over 20 lbs really made me feel fat this time around. I am like huger than I have ever been, ever. I haven't gained much weight but I still feel ginormous, added to my pain is the difficulty in finding clothes (esp bras and panties) that fit because apparently, according to the fashion industry, no one over a size 14 ever gets pregnant

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Yay, I think it is hard for a lot of us. We never have gained so much weight in such a short amount of time. At least if you gain weight normally it happens gradually over a long period. But now, we have to readjust our body image, and we have no support or previous teaching on how to manage that. No one even really tells you that it might be an issue when you get pregnant.

I went through a few weeks where I must have really popped, and I felt awful about myself. I am adjusting now to the new body. It actually really helped to get my belly hennaed. It helped me to appreciate my body in a new way.

I did not lose the weight after Elijah. I gained 40lbs and lost 20lbs of it. I did not lose the rest until two years later when I got scarey sick with crohn's disease-an illness that makes you lose a ton of weight fast.

I have already gained more than I did the whole time with Elijah-43lbs already at 31 1/2 weeks. I heard that people that are skinny beforehand don't lose the weight when nursing bc the body is ensuring that you have enough nutrients to bf. That was true last time, and I nursed for two years.

So, I just have to appreciate my body, and know that I have jsut a few weeks left. Then I will actually get my hips back (I hope!!!) and can move around and get exersize again. At this point, I just have to rest and be good to myself. I hope it develops that same for you. You may just get used to the extra fat after a couple weeks.

·
Registered
766 Posts
As you can see, you're definitely NOT alone!
It is really a struggle for me, as well, although this pregnancy has been better than #3 was for me. The weight will come off, it may take as long as it took to gain it, but it will melt off eventually. HUGS!

·
Registered
557 Posts
me too.
Why do one's thighs and butt get so big while pg? maybe it's padding for sitting and nursing for hours on end

When pg w/ ds I somehow hadn't noticed the thigh thing (probably b/c maternity clothes are pretty generous in that area... and strechy). Anyways we went swimming at 36 weeks, I put on my suit and looked at the rearview and immediately freaked out and started crying. I was totally shocked at the change.

I've been trying really hard to tell myself everyday that my changing body is good, that it's healthy and normal, that it's part of the natural event of pregnancy....that it's temporary.

As of Monday I now outweigh dh by 10 pounds, maybe I should try plumping him up and see if that makes me feel better

·
Banned
4,712 Posts
The good news about the weight gain, at least for me, is that I lose everything I gained within a few months post partum and by 6 or 7 months post partum end up thinner than I was pre pregnancy. Thank heaven for breastfeeding!

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I am not happy with some changes I see, like the cellulite on my calves WTH is that?

I am pretty thin normally, I usually run about 110-115 pre pregnancy, but I was bigger when I got pregnant (120).

I gained 80 lbs with DD1. I lost 45 lbs in 2 weeks, which was fluid. By 4 months PP I weighed 105.

This pregnancy, I have gained about 25 lbs so far at 35 weeks and I am happy with that. I am hoping that I will stay under 35 lbs gained. We'll see. But you aren't alone...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by chi_mama View Post
As of Monday I now outweigh dh by 10 pounds, maybe I should try plumping him up and see if that makes me feel better

I have seriously been considering this. I don't know if it would make me feel better, but it might shut him up about my weight gain and that would definitely make me feel better.

I am SOOOOO happy to see this thread! I have been feeling like a gigantic cow this pregnancy and can't seem to shake the accompanying depression that seems to grow in an exact ratio with my thighs. I'm just glad to see that I'm not the only one, and since there are so many of us, maybe it's even kinda normal to feel this way at this point

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
The places I am gaining is just wrong. It looks like I am growing a baby in my butt and back too.

I have skinny legs so it looks like I am going to fall over.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I am right there with you guys. For some reason I was ok with DS1 and I gained close to 60 pounds. I was never skinny to begin with so I looked huge. Didn't bother me.

This time I went in 15 over what I was when I got pregnant the first time but have only gained 9 pounds at 34 weeks. I feel ginormous. Not sure what that is about.

And about fattining up the hubby. I wish. I have always been heavier than him and that is unlikely to change. He simply does not gain weight. Even at 36 he is still under 160 (and 6.2 tall) His metabolism is crazy high. He eats more than anyone I have ever met.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunshynbaby View Post
I'm avoiding mirrors.
Sounds like a great strategy. Thanks everyone for the support. Glad to know I am not alone. Just need to keep the faith it will melt away and look forward to all of those round the clock feedings with my baby girl.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I'm 28 in July, and I've been a model for 10 years. I did alot of nude modeling as well. I was very VERY obsessive about my physical appearance, and maintaining my level of "sexy". It's kind of my thing... I've always loved being looked at by my husband as irresistible... and Ive never felt less sexy in my entire life. He, thankfully, loves me regardless... But even with my severe SEVERE chronic hip pain, and knowing swimming would help. I can't bring myself to put on any shorts to get in the pool because of my thighs and hips.
Today a gf I hadn't seen since march came in town, and said "look at your bubble butt!" (she meant it as a compliment) and I about died. I asked my husband (who's notoriously honest, to a fault, sometimes) and his reply was "its just not as *tone* as it used to be" I know he didn't mean it to be insulting, and I appreciated his honesty, but boy, that really didnt help matters much. Id rather people be honest with me, than blow smoke up my (bubble) butt. but OUCH!!!
I'm 35 weeks and 38 lbs so far. My thighs look like half cooked pancakes.

UGH! I'm going swimming today though, I think. Im in way too much pain. and my husband will be at work, thank god. hahahaha

·
Registered
242 Posts
As a fluffy person to begin with, I don't feel more fat than I usually do. When I'm not pg, I'm overweight. At least when I'm pg I have an excuse...

·
Registered
861 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by texaspeach View Post
And I've started to get a few stretch marks, which I had anticipated. Only they aren't on my belly - they're at the top of my thighs.
I have stretch marks at the tops of my thighs too! Right on the front! What IS that?! All my pre-preggo pants still fit in the thighs, so I don't think I've gained weight there (although I may be starting to) but I'm very definitely getting stretch marks.

I also have them to one side of my belly button. This LO lays along my right side and that's where I'm stretching - big time. Even other people have commented that I look asymmetrical (very tactfully and it didn't hurt).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pernillep View Post
And about fattining up the hubby. I wish. I have always been heavier than him and that is unlikely to change. He simply does not gain weight. Even at 36 he is still under 160 (and 6.2 tall) His metabolism is crazy high. He eats more than anyone I have ever met.
Mine is the same way. Impossibly thing. I have been trying like crazy to pad him a litte. I would just like to be able to snuggle up to him without his hipbones pushing into me. Seriously DTD with me on top is like balancing on a couple of 2x4's put right under my thighs.

I am truly blessed with that man though. He thinks pregnancy (mine at least - he seems entirely unconcerned about anyone else's pregnant body) is the most beautiful, attractive thing he's ever encountered. And when my hormones have me all hot an bothered, it's pretty nice to know he's game. I'm not sure I could handle a 'Would you mind if we didn't?' response.

I try to tell myself that this weight gain is perfectly healthy, and that I'll be glad when I'm nursing a LO in Fairbanks, Alaska all winter to have a few insulating fat reserves. And, that living in AK means I will have LOTS of time before anything other than huge, bulky sweaters are an option. I've been saying that I'm going to find a pool somewhere, but I can't bring myself to even try on a bathing suit. I look at them and I can feel the emotional breakdown coming and I just walk away.

Do you think if I called a pool and explained that due to my 'delicate condition' I need to know when they are the LEAST busy they would be able to tell me? God I hope so.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts