Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As my previous threads have said, we are trying to adopt a coonhound.

The rescue called our old vet for a reference, and she emailed me saying she was *concerned* because my animals are not up to date with their vaccinations.

Well, a few years ago my vet told me that because our cats are exclusively indoor cats, we didnt need to keep them current (except for rabies), and my dog is 15 and gets her annual rabies shot and thats it (Although I had to have her get a full round last year or the boarding facility would not allow her there)

I know that vaccinations are subjective and we were living in a low risk area (ie, city) before, and the vet told us we didnt need anything but her rabies.

Im afraid that this is going to count against us because I did the minimal required for vaccinations.

I need compelling answers as to *why* vaccinations are not nessesary. (Ill add that when my dog was a puppy she was in for all her shots and boosters regularly, it just now that she is older and is an inside dog, there is very little risk for her)

We take good care of our animals and they are treated very well, fed, kept warm, lots of love and attention, I just fall into the category of, why do they need all that stuff put into their bodies if its not nessesary.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
You're right, of course, and she's wrong. You can send her pet vaccination links if you want, and another thing that may go a long way is to say that you will always do an annual exam even if you don't do vaccines. For lots of rescue people, "UTD on shots" is some sort of touchpoint of basic care. I've read a ton of profiles that say things like "This poor boy hasn't seen a vet in three years" or "His former owner never took him in for shots after he was a puppy" as though those are an indictment of the relinquishing owner. Personally, I never take my dogs in for shots after the puppy series is complete (and my puppy series is very limited), and would be thrilled to say that a dog hasn't seen a vet in years.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, she emailed me back, and told me that my reasonings were valid and that she agrees that vets tend to over-vaccinate. She also agreed my 15 year old dog just needed rabies updates and nothing else. She likes to see how owners respond to questions like that. UGH, I have been stressing all day fully expecting to be flamed by her!

So I had to explain the fencing we are putting up and after a phone interview, we can take her home! (That and $200.00)
: But she is altered so we dont have to do that.

I have to say I have never jumped through so many hoops to adopt an animal! All our fur-babies are rescued, and it was just simply going to the shelters and letting them pick us out! Pay $75.00 and you can go home!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts