Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey- would love some advice,
I am thinking of having baby number three next year. We will stop at three if all goes according to plan. Right now I have a hyundai elantra. Anyone know from experience if it will fit one booster and two child carriers? I really don't want to trade in for a van cause we will lose a lot of value that way, also don't want to have to afford a van. Any ideas? (We really would lose out by selling the car cause it was in an undisclosed minor accident when we bought it and the body paint is peeling now- we bought for 14 900 two years ago, would be lucky to get 7000)
We are paying off 12000 line of credit (hopefully gone in 2 years at current payment)- want that gone before even considering a van payment,
thanks!!
Christine

Also would an elantra even be safe for three kids in the back if they fit?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I think it depends on the type of seats you're using. I fit an Evenflo Triumph and 2 booster seats (not sure of the brand, they were neighbor kids) in the back of my Dodge Neon. It was a tight fit, but it was a fit. Now, when the kids are teenagers? Yeah, I'd say a second row of seats would be a good idea - have you ever fit 3 adult-sized people in the backseat of a car and been comfortable? But for now, it should be fine.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I just found out about #3 and have an Elantra. I'm also not in a position to be trading it in. I'm looking into the Sunshine radian's. They're supposed to be slimmer and fit 3 across. I'll be putting out almost $600 for carseats, but I'll lose a lot more if I try to get rid of this car.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
We love our Radians. If you watch, you can find them for $140 on Amazon. Don't bother with the 80 lb seat, get the 65 lb one. Most kids will outgrow it by height before hitting 65 lbs.

I know you can put 3 radians across a Jeep, and many other cars. There are some skinny boosters too.

·
Registered
7,264 Posts
We put three in our Breeze. We did three in the Breeze the entire time... then we had four. No way you can fit 4 kids and 2 adults in the breeze. We got bumped to the Sedona then.

·
Premium Member
3,325 Posts
To piggyback on your post - we are expecting #3 in April and will need to fit a booster, infant seat, and a teenager in the back seat.

We're currently driving a Chevy Tahoe, but suspect we'll need to trade it in.

Any recommendations on a reasonable vehicle that will basically fit three adults, an infant car seat, and a booster seat?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Quote:
We're currently driving a Chevy Tahoe,
I've owned two Tahoes -- they both had 3rd rows. Doesn't yours?

And even if it doesn't have 3 rows the back seat is a lot wider than a sedan so it should still fit an infant seat, booster and teenager just fine.

·
Premium Member
3,325 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by aircantu1 View Post
I've owned two Tahoes -- they both had 3rd rows. Doesn't yours?

And even if it doesn't have 3 rows the back seat is a lot wider than a sedan so it should still fit an infant seat, booster and teenager just fine.

We don't have a third row, nope. Just two seats up front and then three behind it. The back is all cargo space.

I think I might dig out DD's old infant seat (we're planning to buy a new one for the new babe, but we kept hers around - dunno why, really, but it ended up in storage with the other baby stuff) and put it in with her carseat and have our son sit in the back to check the fit.

·
Premium Member
13,072 Posts
I would go insane if I didn't have something like my Town & Country. We had to make do with 3!!! carseats unsafely (IMO) in the back of a Monte Carlo before the junker finally died (thank goodness!).

Now we actually have room for the kids to sit safely, not poke each other the entire time, we can fit groceries and the animals in for our trips we take pretty often, as well as luggage. It also gets better gas mileage than our Monte Carlo!

If I ever win the lottery, I would check out one of those SUV hybrids or something. I want a hybrid so bad, it's just not going to be safe with 4 kids and a big dog!

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I can fit three car seats (two belt positioning boosters and an infant/convertible) in my tiny Acura Integra (same as Honda Civic)!!! So, if we do have #3 (still a vague possibility), I can keep my car for another few years. It's only got a lap belt in the center position, so I can't keep it forever:-(

Why buy a new car if you don't have to? Take it to a store like Babies R Us that'll let you take the car seats out to your car and test them to see if they fit. Then, you'll know for sure.

good luck!
Oh, and we did a 6,000 mile car trip over the summer in our little car with our family of four. Five would have been tight, but it could have been done! 30+ miles to the gallon!

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Natsuki View Post
The Mazda5 is a microvan that gets 25mpg yet has seats for 6 (room for 4 carseats in back) - that is another option.
I have one and I looooooooove it!!!!!

I sometimes do even better than 25mpg. Mine is a standard transmission, though. (Which means a minivan that's actually FUN to drive -- THANK YOU, Mazda!!!!)

Plus it comes at a very affordable price when compared to other imports.

There aren't a lot of them on the roads. When I pass another one on the highway, we sometimes smile and wave at each other.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.