Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am posting for a friend of mine. She is 15wks PG with #2. She weaned her DD around 15 months about 2-3 months prior to her becoming Pg with any challenges. She was dry. recently she has gotten milk back in to the point where she is feeling engorged and needing relief. She's worried but not pannicking - but her OBGYN FREAKED on her and told her not to hand express or pump or do anything to relieve the pain and bring the milk in further and to come in ASAP monday morning. i was wondering what you all know about this situation. i have tried using the "lots of people BF'd through PG'cy - so it sould be a big deal" angle. And she knows the braxon hicks type contraction she is having are very normal. She is feeling very vulnerable at the moment to her Dr. and wants more info. I would love your thoughts!!

i would add I have encouraged her to email Dr. Newman and see what he says. She also did call her LLL leader and the woman told her "I have never heard of that, you need to see you doctor" (which didn't help any at all)

I know you all are full of years of wisdom

Thanks in advance,

Erika

·
Registered
148 Posts
Gee i never heard of that either`. I started leaking milk about 4-5 mos PG with DD1 but was never "full".
Have you looked at the LLL book the womanly guide.., maybe answers there, also try another LLL leader, maybe someone a little higher up may have more knowledge.
Just go to the doctor Monday but don't let them freak you out, if they want to do or give something that doesn't feel right to you get a 2nd opinion ! maybe from an area mid-wife.
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
To be honest with you, I think the doctor may want to rule out some kind of infection or worse yet, cancer. You see, men can have the same reaction and get breast cancer. Now I think it is totally a stretch since your friend had a nursing relationship within the last 8 months or so but her doctor probably just wants to make sure everything is kosher.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Not from your DDC, found this on New Posts.

Isn't milk production initiated by hormones released when the placenta detaches? That would be my guess as to why the doctor freaked.

By production, I mean real, feed a baby production. Not normal pregnancy leaking.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Yes, I would think so, which is probably why her doctor hasn't sent her straight to the hospital. I wonder if maybe her hormones have just gotten screwed up. Not as bad, I would think, but still a cause for concern.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
First of all, if the doc were really that worried he would have had your friend come in right away, even to the ER to see someone else. Someone mentioned placental separation and again, if he suspected something like this ...straight to the ER...so I do not know if it is really that serious.

Abnormal things to watch for would be green to brown to bloody or smelly discharge. I do not think engorgement would fall under this as they all indicate possible abnormal growths. Pituitary or Thyroid issues could be at work, or it just might be normal?

I think the advice of emailing Dr. Newman is great. It sounds to me like her hormones just kicked into high gear...sometimes better than an LLL would be contacting an IBCLC certified lactation consultant...that is what I would do when I can't figure things out for my clients. You could also cross post this to the lactation board here in MDC.

Until the time she sees her doc (but I would also seriously talk to an IBCLC too) she can put fresh cabbage leaves into her bra, change them when they become wilted after a while...this can help relieve engorgement. (I WOULD NOT do this for immed post partum engorgement because this can affect your mild supply by reducing it).

Good luck and let us know! Paige

PS Can't she call her doc back and ask specifically why he is so concerned?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.