Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am due on July 4th (although I think it's going to be later than that). Anyway, I have a wonderful 3 year old son now and am trying to prepare myself for the new little one. I did not do well with breastfeeding the first time. Mostly I lacked support because whenever I got tired I had mil handing me formula and saying how much easier it was. After 4 months of that I gave up and have been bothered by it ever since. This time I've done a lot more research, etc. I'm more prepared mentally. Last time I took a hospital class and that was it. I ended up having a c-section also. This time we are attempting vbac. My question is, I know that it will be harder in a way this time with having ds to take care of as well. Any suggestions on ways to include him or make it an easier transition? He will play by himself, but most of the time he tries to pull me in (not that I mind that now, but at least at first I know that won't be possible). Just looking for any ideas you experienced ladies have. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
First, to be successful, have no formula in your house EVER. Even those of us who are seasoned BFing mothers have looked upon a jar (jug?) of formula wistfully when you are up for the 18th hour nursing a baby who still is sucking away. Throw it right in the trash, or get rid of it immediately. Inform your MIL that she needs to keep the formula for her kittens or something, because it's undermining your BF relationship.<br><br>
Second, your son will be just fine! He'll probably be really interested in nursing, so much so that he might ask to nurse as well. Prepare yourself for that. Get some books for kids that show nursing as normal and healthy, and read them to him. Encourage him to ask questions, etc. about what the baby is doing. Make him in charge of something--getting the dipe, your glass of water, and really try to include him in the feedings.<br><br>
My kids were all nursed until they can remember nursing (or still were when the new one was born) so it was never an issue; I started saying, "We'll share nursings with the baby, right?" early on.<br><br>
Good luck to you!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. I have already made sure to erradicate any formula from the house and told MIL I would do the same to her if she kept pushing the formula (I said it jokingly, but she knew I was serious).<br><br>
Any other thoughts, please keep them coming. Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts