Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! Quinn was born via c-section 3/28 at 1:32 am.

So, here's the quick low down!

I went into labor after my water broke rather unexpectedly. I was in hard, heavy labor for 18 hours and was not dilating past a 5 the whole time and was 90% effaced. Then my cervix was swollen and inflamed and Quinn was in a face up position still at a -1. The midwives told me that, basically, I could keep laboring like this (I was having long, irregular, contractions) but they were worried because of how long I was going with NO progress or I could go to the hospital. I asked if there was any risk to Quinn to continue laboring and they said yes. So, I said I wanted to go to the hospital.

Once on the monitors, the hospital found that even during mild contractions, his heart rate plummeted. They said that I could do pitocin to make the contractions faster and harder and hope he is born fast because of his heart rate being so crazy or I could do a c-sec.

With the information I had, I decided to do the c-section because I didn't want to hurt my Quinn and it was at a point where I could choose and it wasn't an emergency at that moment.

Turns out, he had a large air pocket in his chest cavity from the 18 hours of distressful laboring that was preventing him from moving down.

But a wonderful 7 lbs 3.5 oz. boy was handed to me a few hours later after they had used a needle to relieve the air bubble in his chest. He is happy and healthy and was able to come home with me on 3/30 :)

Not the plan I had, but I am happy to have my boy anyway!

Oh! And! He's already fast on his way to picking up breast feeding :) :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Beautiful! Congratulations and thank you for sharing your birth story, and especially those critical decision-making moments. Good sign you went home so quickly - hope you heal quickly and can now just focus on enjoying your sweet baby.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Congratulations! Sounds like you did the right thing! Smart momma and adorable baby! A speedy recovery to you and Quinn!

·
Registered
11,576 Posts
Congratulations on your sweet baby! :Kiss

·
Registered
217 Posts
Oh, he's beautiful and you just look so in love!

I'm glad you were able to feel in control of the decisions as they came along and do what felt right for you and your baby with timely guidance from the professionals. I'd never heard of a baby developing an air pocket in their chest before.

And I'll second the wishes for a speedy recovery and am glad you are both home already! Take care and thanks for sharing your story.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts