Mothering Forum banner

Needing 12 hours of sleep?

494 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Pookietooth 
#1 ·
I am, I keep seeing all these threads about insomnia and I am the exact opposite. I could sleep and then sleep some more. I have been going to bed at 8:30 most nights and sleeping until close to 7, ok not quite 12 hours, but close enough. Is anyone else just exhausted all the time. FWIW I do have a very active little girl who just exhausts me with her non-stop energy and sporadic napping. I'm just sleepy and I feel like I need the rest so bad.

#2 ·
I alternate between needing lots of sleeping and getting insomnia! Most nights I need 10 hours of sleep plus a 1-2 hour nap during the day. But some nights I stay up until 10 pm and then wake up at 2:30 am, unable to sleep for an hour or so, feeling ready to get up and GO!, but knowing that if I don't get my butt back in bed, I will be dead on my feet the next day.

I also have a very active toddler (2 1/2) who naps sporadically and will only fall asleep in the car during the daytime. Lucky for me, my husband works out of our home and is very helpful with him.

#3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Huck View Post
I alternate between needing lots of sleeping and getting insomnia! Most nights I need 10 hours of sleep plus a 1-2 hour nap during the day. But some nights I stay up until 10 pm and then wake up at 2:30 am, unable to sleep for an hour or so, feeling ready to get up and GO!, but knowing that if I don't get my butt back in bed, I will be dead on my feet the next day.

I also have a very active toddler (2 1/2) who naps sporadically and will only fall asleep in the car during the daytime. Lucky for me, my husband works out of our home and is very helpful with him.
OMG I think we have the same kid. My DD will only take a nap if we go for a drive in the car. My Dh is also extremely helpful, he does work out of the home, but recently has had a break in the construction trade, so he's been home. I also have had the wake up at 2:30 and stay awake for an hour a few nights. Mostly though I want to sleep.

#4 ·
I need more sleep than I'm getting.
My 18 mo old & 3 yr old just don't allow me get it. I have some pretty rough, totally exhausted days & I hope I'm not taking too heavy a toll on my body. It sucks, but what can ya do, ya know?

I would looooove to sleep 12 hours.
And then eat a monstrous meal. And then maybe lay down with a book until the next meal.

#5 ·
Norasmomma-I would suggest getting a few blood tests done. It IS entirely possible that you could be this tired from growing a baby and being run ragged, but it could also be possible that your thyroid or iron is low. When I was pregnant with my 2nd, I was extremely tired the way you are and my OB attributed it to simply being the pregnant mother of a toddler, but the fatigue only got worse. By the time my baby was four months old I was sleeping 18 hours a day and had a VERY severe hypothyroid condition. I wish they had caught it sooner. I think it would be good to rule those things out and if you do find a problem, can fix it now.

#6 ·
I am borderline anemic, but I am also a sleepy head naturally. My DD doesn't ever stop. She is constant from 7am-until she falls asleep between 8-9 pm.

I have been taking iron and I find it is helping a bit, nothing was up with my thyroid.

#7 ·
Oh good. I'm glad you have had those things checked out. Have you had your thyroid checked recently? They can get wonky pretty fast during pregnancy and postpartum. Also, if your TSH was over three, but under 5, often times a doctor will say that number is normal. Endocrinologists prefer a TSH 3 or under and call that value optimal. Optimal VS in normal range are two very different things.

Some iron supplements are very difficult for the body to assimilate and absorb. Try taking Floradix. I really like it because it is a whole food vitamin and contains foods rich in vitamins B and C which help you absorb iron. Make sure you don't take iron supplements at the same time as calcium or calcium rich foods as calcium can inhibit iron absorption.

Of course, like I said previously, you may just be tired from growing a baby and chasing an exuberant toddler. That would be no surprise!

#8 ·
Do I have to get prescription for the Floradix? I keep seeing it on here and I have never even heard of it. My Dr is pretty thorough with my blood tests, she is waaaayyyy more concerned about things than my Dr was with DD. She has given me multiple blood tests, but I'm not sure about what my level was for thyroid. She said I was all fine except for my 1 hr GTT was high, but then my 3 hour was fine and I was borderline anemic. I wasn't surprised by that I was anemic with DD.

I really do chalk much of it up to the constant energy suck of my DD, she is really up there on the energy level.

I'm probably not sleeping 12 hours, but more like 9-10. When I am *normal* I need at least 8.

#9 ·
Norasmomma-I'm sleeping around 9 hours a night right now, too. I just feel zombie-ish otherwise. You DO NOT need a prescription for Floradix. It is readily available at health food stores and online. I found it for a pretty good price on the Vitamin Shoppe's website. Grab some. I bet it will make you feel better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.