Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>Hi, I am new to this board, but from what I read I am glad I have found you all. I would like to share my story with you all and see what you think.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Here is a short background of my pregnancy before I get into my labor story: I tested GBS+ but other then that my pregnancy was uneventful. At 40 weeks my OB did a membrane sweep- I was 50% effaced and 1.5 cm dialated. At 40 weeks 4 days I had my membranes swept again I was 2 cm dialated and 70-80% effaced.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Birth Story:</p>
<p>At 40 weeks 6 days pregnant I went into the hospital with double over, drop to you knees type of pain while using the bathroom. I had this pain since my appointment at 40 weeks 4 days, however by that Sunday it had gotten alot worse. I had woken up Sunday morning to timeable back cramping 4-5 minutes apart. I called L and D and let them know. I decided that it was bearable and I would just rest at home. As the day went on, the pain while using the bathroom got alot more intense I would litterly fall to my knees after using the bathroom. I was sure that I had something like a UTI so my DH and I decided that we would go and get checked out.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>At the hospital I found that while I was having contractions 7-8 mins appart, I was still not dialated any further then what I was at my last appointment. The doctor on call decided to monitor me for a while. I walked the halls for nearly 2 hours to try and see if that would help and bring on a change. Nothing happend, however the pain was still there and all my test came back negative. However the on call doctor decided to keep me over night. I was given a sleeping pill to help me sleep.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>The next morning a new on call doctor came in at about 7:30 that morning. I had finally made a change in dialation and was at 3 cm. 2 hours later at 9:30 am the on call doctor came in, I was 4 cm and decided to break my water. At around 11:30 I was in so much pain that I requested the epi (I have a low pain tolerance). The epi brought little relief to me. I was still feeling ever contraction and had a real hard time getting myself to relax. It was also during this time that I found that they had also started me on pitocin (no one ever told me I was going on that stuff). By 230-3pm I had the feeling that I needed to push. I was checked and only 9.5 cm dialated. However the doctor allowed me to push becasue she was able to move the last bit of cervix away while I pushed. While pushing I moved from my back to my side (as I had all day). After an hour of pushing and no progress I changed positions to hands and knees. I stayed there for another hour pushing on my own when my body told me to. At 5pm the doctor came back in I was finally a full 10 cm dialated. Again I pushed for an hour during that time my baby would slide down with the pushing and contraction and then slide back up. I worked at this for another hour before I was told that my daughter was in distress (my mom saw it on the monitor at 80 BPM) this is when I was told that baby needed to come out right then. I was rushed to the OR.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>In the OR it was found that my epi was placed incorrectly and not working (after 2 boosts I could still feel them pinching me with the tweezers) so I was put completely out. After coming out of surgery I had troubles breathing, I had vocal box paralization and was unable to cough as I needed. It was 4 hours after my daughter was born that I was able to see her. At that point I did not even know I had a baby girl until I was wheeled back to my room. By this time my husband, his parents, my parents and my sister had already been able to hold her, take pictures with her and all of that. I was the last one. It breaks my heart to this day.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>The next day MY OB came in and told me that it was a good thing that I was put out because they had to really pull to get my daughter out (she was born with brusing to the back of her head) My doctor also then said "Next time wont be so bad we will have a baby at 38-39 weeks. It will be scheduled and thing will better." It didnt hit me until after I was home that she ment I needed to have another c-section. At my pp visit I asked about this. She told me because I got to the pushing phase and nothing happend that I only had a 1-3% chance of delivering vaginally ever.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Since then I have struggled with making the decision. I am not pregnant now, but we would like to try again for baby 2 when dd is a year old. A recent visit to my doctor for my annual exam pushed me into at least finding a VBAC friendly doctor to get a second opinion as I was told the at most I could have 2 maybe 3 c-sections. That did not go well we want a bigger family.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Please share with me your experiances. From what I have told you could I safely have a VBAC delivery? Tell me what you know? I dont have nor have I ever seen a copy of my operative report. Its really pricey to get it sent to me, so once I find a doctor I will ask if they can go over it with me. I plan on seeing this doctor before I get pregnant again.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Sorry this is so long, Thank you for reading and giving me your time. I am really greatful for any information you can give me.</p>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,105 Posts
<p>Short version: My water broke at 3am, I labored naturally and started directed pushing when I hit 10cm at 5pm. I pushed for 2.5 hours and never made it past +1. My cesarean was at 9:04 pm. My chart lists CPD and Failure to Progress as reasons for it.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I talked to the OB who did my cesarean and she said there is no reason to NOT attempt a VBAC (though our local hospitals don't allow them), we are planning a homebirth in February. I do plan on doing my best to ensure that baby is in a good position and also that my water doesn't break early in labor/prior to labor - which will hopefully allow baby to be in a more favorable position for birthing. I have also been under chiropractic care for over two years now.</p>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
<p>There are so many things I want to type, but I don't want to overwhelm you.  First of all, VBAC is a safe option for most women.  A good place to start is looking at the research yourself, here are some I've found helpful: </p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href="http://givingbirthwithconfidence.org/2-2/a-womans-guide-to-vbac/weighing-the-pros-and-cons/" target="_blank">http://givingbirthwithconfidence.org/2-2/a-womans-guide-to-vbac/weighing-the-pros-and-cons/</a></p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href="http://vbacfacts.com/" target="_blank">http://vbacfacts.com/</a></p>
<p> </p>
<p>If you scroll to the end of the vbacfacts article, there are links to the studies cited. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>It sounds like you may have a diagnosis of failure to progress, FTP, and doctors may tell you that means it will happen every pregnancy, but there are so many women who have gone on to give birth vaginally with a FTP diagnosis.  Check out <a href="http://spinningbabies.com/" target="_blank">http://spinningbabies.com/</a></p>
<p> </p>
<p>I have had 2 c-sections, the last one an attempted VBAC.  I have been given a diagnosis of CPD, cephalopelvic disorder, and FTP.  I was disappointed that I had a c-sec because I felt so prepared, but I don't regret trying at all.  In fact, we want a big family as well and the risks of repeated c-secs are scarier to me than the risks of a VBAC.  So, when I hopefully get preg with #3, I will be achieving a VBA2C.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Good luck!</p>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,136 Posts
<p> </p>
<p>I'm so sorry you had such a horrible expereince the first time around.  It is irresponsible of your doctor to make up facts and figures.  While it is true, on an epidimiologic (ie population) level that women whose first c-section was because baby got stuck pushing are less likely to have a successful VBAC, it is nowhere near 1-3% -- it's much greater than 50% and, if you have a good supportive healthcare provider, good baby positioning and a positive environment, you are very likely to be successful.  There are many resources available to help you find such a provider and environment, and to help you educate and advocate for yourself on this topic.  The two that I found the most helpful were ICAN (International Cesarean Awareness Network) and <a href="http://www.childbirthconnection.org" target="_blank">www.childbirthconnection.org</a>.  ICAN likely has a  chapter that is near to you, and if it doesn't, ICAN International can assist you in finding someone who is familliar with some of the local resources etc.  The Childbirth Connection has an excellent summary of the best evidence which can help for medical decision making.  They have a good section on VBAC vs. Repeat C-section, pros and cons, etc.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>FWIW, I personally find the online VBAC calculator to be helpful too.  I know many on this board will say "you are not a statistic" or something to that effect -- which is true of course -- but if statistics make sense to you, having a sense of your odds of success can help with decision making.  No calculator will ever tell you what your outcome will be, obviously.  Anyway, you can find that by googling "VBAC calculator".  Most doctors will tell you that if your odds of success are less than around 60%, the risks associated with repeat c-section are lower than the risks associated with a failed VBAC.  This does not take into account all of those non-quantifiable risks such as having a crappy birth experience, and simply *wanting* a VBAC. Best wishes as you gather information. And we all know plenty of women who were told that their odds were bad/pelvis was too small/whatever and went on to have successful VBACs.  This is simply a statistic based on a few 100,000 women.  BTW, I would plan on finding a new care provider, since it sounds as though your current OB is not VBAC friendly.  The ladies at ICAN can probably help you with some specific name suggestions in your area.</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<p>Thank you Ladies for all your help and encouragement. Last week I contacted a local Doula who gave me a list of VBAC friendly providers in my area which once I get my medical records sent to me from the hospital I will be contacting. I requested those records last week Friday and requested my physical and history, operative report and discharge summary. I also wrote notes on what I was looking for on there and if any other report had that information to please include it. The Medical Records Department said I should not have to pay for anything as long as it was 10 pages or less and if it was more then its 35 cents a page so I figured I would request what I though I needed since its not to high. Hopefully I will hear something in the next week or so, if I dont I will be contacting them again. My reason for needing records was stated as 'new provider."</p>
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top