Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 10 mo. old DD has suddenly turned into a very Needy baby - she just needs us to hold her the WHOLE time. She used to be fine playing in her pack & play but now she just whines until we pick her up. But then if you pick her up she's very active, I'd say she wants to be put down and I we can't let her roam at will around the house! Even the Einstein videos she loves only hold her attention for a little bit of time only (don't worry we don't use them much!)

She loves to hold on to anything to stand up and explore, I suspect that may be the reason she's all hyper but we can't be watching her ALL DAY either. My DH is a SAHD who's beginning to go nuts because he can't do anything with her whining and clinginess and wanting to be let loose.

We are currently having our basement finished so we can babyproof it, fill it with toys and have it be 'her' area but that's at least a month away from being complete.

We will baby wear (me more than DH), but there's always something you can't do while holding baby (say, carry the laundry down the stairs) or drive a car.

Is anyone else going through this? Any suggestions would be appreciated… (I have to travel next week for business which means DH will be stuck with her all day, I'd like to come back to a sane DH !!!)

Thanks!

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Oh yeah. It's the age. I just make an area fairly safe and let her go and watch her. Usually half an hour or so of fairly free exploring (with me watching...) will burn off a lot of the energy. My dd would be SO pissed off if I put her in a playpen :LOL

-Angela

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Same here. My DS is 9 months old and very similar. He acts as if he wants to be held and carried, but then squirms to be put down, then whines and stares at me. Sometimes he'll even crawl around exploring while sort of whining and crying. I think a lot of it is boredom. When he's outside, he's great. He loves going new places and watching new people and things. Does your DD like this? I know I stay sane during the day by taking lots of short walks with him, and going somewhere interesting, like (yuck) a mall or the library or a playground.

Babyproofing an area is a good idea, even if it's a small room. A toy swap also works well, if you have a good friend that you can swap with for a couple days. My DS got really interested in a whole bunch of new toys.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just got a call from DH, he's getting very frustrated because DD is fighting sleep and refusing to nap (so far she's been a pretty good napper).

Anyone else's baby is fighting NAPS too? (in addition to the whole clinginess/ independence thing I mentioned earlier)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts