Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys--I very much try to avoid conflict if at all possible. BUT. . . . . . . .

. . .I've gotta get some sleep! I don't mind not sleeping because of ds, but a jumpy, incredibly loud great dane. . .that barks at EVERYTHING. . .ALL NIGHT. . .

So I made some banana bread for the neighbors (just moved in) that I'm gonna take over tomorrow. How do I gently ask them to do something about their dog? I don't want to start off on the wrong foot, but $#&%&^% I've gotta sleep, yk?

Thanks for letting me vent.

Sarah

·
Registered
7,110 Posts
I feel ya. I had a boyfriend who lived next door to this couple that got a yapping dog- and it barked every day at 4 and 5! UGH!
So finally one day I go over to mention it to the neighbor- little do I know- the ladies husband had a heart attack the night before and was in the hospital!
OMG!
Did I feel bad!

I would mention it tho- as long as no hospital visits seem certian.
Maybe ask about the dog- is it friendly to kids- etc.
Maybe say something about it adjusting to a new place- having a hard time- like ya I heard him last night- is he homesick - or just likes to bark at night?
Go from there- you do not want to start off on the wrong foot with new neighbors! You can't get away from them!
Emilie

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
Eek. Good luck. My experience with people who leave their dogs out to bark at all hours of the day and night is that they don't much care that it's disturbing other people.

It would be really nice to go over and introduce yourself. I wouldn't waste too much time dropping hints, though. If you can find a way to be both gentle and direct, that's probably the best way to go. Maybe something like, "I noticed your dog was barking a lot last night. We'd really appreciate it if you would bring him in when he starts doing that."

I guess there's no great way to say it. The reality is, though, that if they're going to take offense, they're going to do it no matter how you phrase the suggestion.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragonfly
Eek. Good luck. My experience with people who leave their dogs out to bark at all hours of the day and night is that they don't much care that it's disturbing other people.

It would be really nice to go over and introduce yourself. I wouldn't waste too much time dropping hints, though. If you can find a way to be both gentle and direct, that's probably the best way to go.
:

Ok--I recently saw you in another thread (Into the West I think
), and I kept trying to sing your little siggie ditty--I FINALLY got it! :LOL Good grief! (See?! Lack OF SLEEEEEEEP. . .)

Now it's in my head. . .

Thanks you guys. Gentle yet direct. . . I think I can pull that off. Not that they will even care. . .

:
Sarah

·
Registered
5,999 Posts
I can't figure out the diddy either.
: Please tell me what it is?

So sorry about the dog! That must suck. I definately think you should find someway of telling them though, because otherwise resentment might build up.

If it were me I'd write an anonymous note.
:

But I'm a wuss like that.
:

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2much2luv
I can't figure out the diddy either.
: Please tell me what it is?

So sorry about the dog! That must suck. I definately think you should find someway of telling them though, because otherwise resentment might build up.

If it were me I'd write an anonymous note.
:

But I'm a wuss like that.
:
:LOL

Have you ever seen that diet vanilla cherry dr pepper commercial: that guy is talking to some girl, telling her how great she is, and she's all into her dr pepper and watches his lips move but that songs playing in her head? Never seen it? I think it might be originally from Ralph the Muppet, yk, the dog? Am I right Dragonfly?

:LOL

Sarah

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Is there a noise ordinance in your neighborhood? If there is, you might be able to report them on it if they don't respond to your polite requests to put their dog inside after a certain hour.

·
Banned
4,450 Posts
does your city have a noise ordinance? In seattle, we have noise ordinances so we could call the overworked police and they would come by when they have a free moment (if ever) and talk to the owner. Actually worked once when our neighbor was playing chinese classical music at full volume all night long to harrass his immediate neighbor who had done something to piss him off. The cops did come. It was like 2am so I guess they were free. He stopped and has never done it again.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by boongirl
our neighbor was playing chinese classical music at full volume all night long to harrass his immediate neighbor who had done something to piss him off.
That may be worse than the dog. . .

I'll have to check to see about an ordinance. . .I'd like to get over there to bring bread (a peace offering) and chat with them, but they're like NEVER home!

Sar

·
Registered
213 Posts
Speaking from experience (on the receiving end) I REALLY RECOMMEND you go over and speak with them personally--bringing the bread or not! We had a dog that barked at the kids across the street playing at the school playground during the day. She wouldn't be barking constantly, but if she went on for more than 10-15 minutes I'd bring her in. I never thought her barking during the day was bothering anyone -- I thought the only ones home during the day were SAHM like me or seniors, it's daytime, geesh, there's going to be noise during the daytime! BTW I never put her out before 9 am and always had her in by 9 pm.

Well, I guess the neighbor guy 2 houses down works 3rd shift and got p***ed that my dog was barking wildly at 6 pm -- i was going to bring her in right after I finished making/eating dinner. And called the police on us. I had no idea this guy had such a problem with my dog barking during the day...if he had just come over and talked to us I'd have done everything in my power to shut her up during the day as well, but I just figured no one cared because no one said anything. And, get this, the reason my dog was going bezerk that night is because she saw someone breaking into a mini van across the street! Instead of investigating what she was barking at, all eyes were on her to shut her up!

These people might not realize that it's bothering anyone (or maybe they're heavy sleepers and don't even hear it!) I think you should tell them in person bring your DH if it makes you feel more secure, but at least give them the chance to correct this before involving the police. It certainly didn't do anything to create harmony on our block! HTH!

·
Banned
2,463 Posts
Well, whiel I am confrontational most times, with neighbours I'd tread lightly and firmly...........

Drop by, say hi, and ask if it is usually the dog's manner to bark all night, crack a joke or two about needing sleep, and then just say you wondered if maybe the move has him upset and he is just barking out of upset etc............keep it all on the dog and situation of move and away from poking fingers at them personally..............

Hopefully they get it. If not, persist and say it is keeping you up.

I found with neighbours honesty simply is best policy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts