Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I start my part time job tomorrow.

I'm scared to death how James will do without me and how I'll do without him. He's 18 months so he's prime for that Seperation Anxiety, but I had to take the job now...we need the $$. He does okay after a while, but for the first 10-30 minutes he does nothing but scream when I leave. He has only taken a nap without me twice in his life and he doesn't sleep that well when he does. He's very much a Mama's Boy, I've only been away from him (for more than just a quick run to the store) a half dozen or so times in his life.

I'm scared to death how this is going to go. Please someone reasure me that he'll be okay.

I'm only working 20-25 hours a week, 4 days a week. I know he'll do okay not nursing because he will eat food and then not nurse for a while...he will be staying with my grandma and he loves her so I'm not worried about that...I'm just worried how he'll do when he all of the sudden doesn't have his mama. We've been trying to do trial runs but I can only occupy myself for so long, kwim?

Thank-you.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
He'll be ok. I think that it is harder on the mama's than on the babes.
And on the bright side, he'll be with family that he already knows and loves.

·
Premium Member
7,581 Posts
Yes, it will be alright! Talk to him honestly about it in words he can understand. Let him see your confidence (it's in there, you have to find it!!) Give him a transitional object to 'love' while he is away from you, and perhaps a picture he can look at of you and him together. Tell him you will be back 'after lunch' or 'dinnertime' (some part of his routine that he can remember). Reassure him you will be back. Make sure his caregiver knows not to downplay his feelings if he misses you. She should validate them but not make him feel worse. He needs to know it is o.k. to miss you but that he won't fall apart and that you will be back. You can do this and he can too!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.