Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of getting dairy goats when we move to the country and I read that having a male goat around the lactating goats makes the milk taste bad. I also saw on petfinder.com they have lots of neutered male goats that were rescued from being eaten... so would a neutered male have the same affect? If not, I might want one as a companion to one lactating female, just because I might only want one lactating goat... or could I have two females and just not breed one?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
The reason the milk would taste off is because bucks when in rut smell really, really bad. If you walk next to one, you smell, really, really bad. The smell carries like none other. So, therefore the milk can/will be funky...especially if you are really sensitive to the smell.

Wethers should not be an issue. But having another doe in with your doe is good as well! Whichever you prefer really.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Well... if you plan on milking this lactating doe for very long- you will have to breed her and you will soon discover that you have your own neutered males kicking around the farm upping your feed bill and not smelling... so my advice is to just wait till she give's birth to one- don't go out and purposly buy one for a companion- goats live a really really long time if you don't eat them.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
the little farm i get my goat milk from has a variety of goats... females, altered males, a intact males (to breed them)... oh! and one hermaphadite goat too!

the milk tastes fine, but they keep the males and females seperate. becuase the males can bring the females into heat and they don't want that to happen when they are milking them.

their barn is divided and so is the yard where they hang out.

every year they keep one of the boy goats, and someone gets cut! why i don't know, the rest they sell. they are just goat junkies and can't help it i guess!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts