Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I the only one who never doubts my decision to homeschool?

I don't worry about what my kids might be learning in school that they're not learning at home. I know that scope & sequence vary from school to school, and sometimes even from class to class within a school. I know that even the "best" scope & sequence have to leave some stuff out, simply because no one can teach EVERYTHING--everything is just too big. And, homeschooling is much more efficient than classroom learning: no unnecessary review, no down time waiting for the teacher or other students, no moving on to the next topic before this one is mastered.

I don't worry about taking responsibility for my children's learning. If the school screwed them up, I'd still blame myself... for not homeschooling.

I certainly don't feel bad that they're missing out on the social scene at school. Schools don't teach social skills to the kids who lack them. They just throw kids into the social lake and say, "Sink or swim!" Many kids drown that way.

I don't worry about how I'm going to pay for a private school or which public school is "best". I don't worry about how good or bad next year's teacher is going to be, or if a certain trouble maker is going to be in my child's class again next year. I don't worry about conforming to their schedule. I don't worry about what my child might miss when she gets sick. I don't have to plan our family vacations around school schedules either.

No school fundraisers. No school lunches. No bans on backpacks & bags, because of threatening notes found on the bathroom wall. No zero tolerance causing expulsions or suspensions over idiotic things like nail clippers & butter knives. No random rules like, "Teachers may not teach kindergarteners to read," or "First graders may not use reading materials higher than level J."

Quite honestly, I can't think of a good reason to send my kids to school.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I don't doubt our decision either. In fact, reading the paper every morning makes me even more convinced it's the right thing for our family. I'll have the occasional day when I fantasize about boarding school, perhaps, but those days are few and far between, thank heavens. I can't imagine not being able to enjoy watching my son learn and grow academically.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I don't doubt it, though we're just starting out. DD has already begun to read a little (entirely of her own volition, I hasten to add), and I could cry imagining missing this magical time (were she to be in preschool when this happened. . . ). Besides, we're too busy with amazing experiences, activities, learning moments, etc. to add in school. I truly do not understand how anyone has time for school!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I don't doubt the decision to HS. Only my sanity!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.