Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't believe it. I'm so irritated right now. My mom had been watching dd while I got some rest. We started talking about the fact that I would have to go to work part-time soon b/c dh's neurological disorder is progressing very fast. He is trying to continue work until dd is at least a year old before going on disability. We wanted to make it a little easier for dd to go 5 hours w/out nursing. We figured 1 year would be easier then now. She is 7 months old. My mom made the comment "Oh, I think it best you just stop bf'ing at that point. She'll be too old." I never thought I would get that. Especially the way she said it. Here tone was one of telling me that this is what I was going to do. I was taken completely off guard, and told her I planned to let dd self-wean, and had no plans of stopping. She made some comment about me nursing 'til dd was 12. I'm not only irritated at her, but at myself. I didn't even comfront her. I just let it pass.

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
I'm sorry about your dh. That sounds like a dreadful situation and I wish your mom had been more supportive.<br><br>
I think you handled it really well though. You told your mom what you planned to do, that wasn't letting anything go by.<br><br>
I work full time and pump at work, nurse at home. It hasn't been easy, but my ds had only breast milk until he was 6 months. I think you can do it. My mom was also somewhat dubious, and was one of a few people who told me not to feel bad if I couldn't keep breastfeeding and work full time. (Only later did I understand how undermining that "support" was!) Awhile ago I posted here to see how many moms had worked full time and still nursed. There are a lot of mommies here who did that, including some "extended" nursers! The nursing can work out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts