Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new little man (born on dec 2nd) has a large mongolian spot that spans the left side of his back from just below his should down to his mid back and even extends out onto the back of his left arm. I actually didn't notice it (nor do I think any hospital staff noticed it) until a lactation consultant pointed it out the morning after he was born when she came for a visit.

It's purpleish-blue in color and has one tiny spot where it is a shade darker and flat and smooth with the rest of his skin. Hasn't changed in color or size since he was born. Neither dh or I or our 3 y/o dd have birth marks like this. Dh has light colored birth marks (very small in size), I have brown (tan skin colored and small in size) birthmarks and dd has a couple small marks of each of those kinds.

So what causes mongolian spots and do they change over time? I know there are certain health issues indicated by different kinds of birthmarks, do mongolian spots indicate any possible health concerns? I've heard horror stories about kids with mongolian spots and docs unfamiliar with these kids (emergency room visits and such) thinking they are bruises and reporting to CPS. How do I get a confirmed diag on his record that can be accessed easily to avoid any such problems?

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
My DD had spots on her lower back when she was little. She's 6 now and they've completely faded. I've never heard of any health issues associated with them.

To protect us, I had her pediatrician document the spots in her file and also put dated pictures in her file. If you're very concerned, you might want to carry a letter from your ped with you in case of ER visits, etc.

I also brought her spots to the attention of her other caregivers, all of my family, anyone and everyone who might see them and be concerned.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
There's a whole thread about this over on the multi forum

Anywhoo, it sounds normal, nothing to stress about. DDs originally covered most of her back, now it's pretty small.

HTH
Bellevuemama

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.