Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, here's my birth story.... I still can't believe that I am already at home, holding 'new baby' as we've called him for so long; I didn't even make my due date! But to be fair, I was pretty adamant about adjusting my date for my longer cycles, so I guess I was right on!

My goal for this birth was to handle it better than dd#1.... working with labor and accepting the process. So it sounds goofy, but I really followed Ina May's suggestions from Spiritual Midwifery and I loved it.

Sunday morning I was giving dh some 'him time'
and thinking that what I felt was possibly rythmic enough and low enough to be contractions. So we enjoyed each other, got up with our little girl and I asked my mom to make a big breakfast while I picked up the Sunday paper. We ate a great meal; hash browns, eggs and toast, fresh coffee and I quietly kept feeling twinges. I had mentioned noon as a target time, so dh finished fixing the dryer and by noon I had clued my mom in and I was ready to go.

We called my doula and my midwife on the way there... as per usual I had no idea when and where and how far apart my contractions were (that is now officially not my job- I hate keeping track of that, wrecks my groove to time them
). I labored during the hour long car ride by singing to the grateful dead and pressing my back into the backseat while watching semis and treetops glide past. It was great. I could have been driven around until I was dilated to 10.

At the hospital/birth center it took awhile for the nurse, check in, whatever they do, so dh paced around somewhere out of my sight (he seriously can't relax in a hospital- ever) and my doula watched me labor on the floor with my back against some cabinets while I read between contractions. When the nurse checked me, I was dilated to a 7 with my bag of waters bulging. I hopped into the tub awhile later at about 1:30 and labor continued to progress so nicely. So productive; a lovely sunny afternoon where I worked through my contractions by blowing, humming and singing while dh pressed on my back. Between them we all conversed and it was so relaxed. I knew the contractions were stronger and sometimes closer, but I started to worry I was going to turn into a prune in the tub! Then came pushing.... grumph. That HURTS. No way around it. But I tried to handle it okay and talk to the baby, work with it and stay focused. 11 minutes of pushing and no tears... Carl William was born. 7 lbs 5 oz, 21 inches, all perfect.

It was a lovely afternoon and the best part was a quiet evening; just dh's family (the adults only) in and out in 30 minutes. So much calmer than the atmosphere 2 hours after my first was born (which was horrible for me and for nursing). Carl and I snuggled, nursing and I kept reading my book!! It was wonderful to have a quiet night alone with my new babe at a very rural birth center/hospital.

A few weeks ago, my doula asked me what her role would be and I told her that my goal was for her to have a peaceful natural labor to witness; but that she was my 'insurance' for my pre-birth doubts and fears about the things that can go wrong. I'm so happy to say that we had exactly the peaceful labor and birth I was visualizing. :

We're home and life with toddler and newborn is
: PLUS Carl likes to be held a lot (like all the time) but I am happy and thankful.
Meg

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Oh, I'm so excited to be the first one to say congratulations to a former fellow nursing mama ttc! Your birth sounds like it was great and so relaxed! I hope to be able to have the same attitude. Welcome to the world, Carl William!

Ah, I knew if I wrote I was the first, I'd be the second.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you everyone!

I am enjoying the long holiday weekend with my family and our new little boy....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts