Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI Im new here and I just recieved a few new diapes today. My Baby is 3 weeks old and up till now she didnt fit into anything so I havent washed any diapers yet. Im scared Im going to ruin the diapes!! Can I wash them all together?? I know to use Tide and a very small amount but to break them in good what should I do?? I have all types of diapers- Bumkin aios,WAHM AIOs, WAHM fitteds and pockets, wonderoos, CPF unbleached and a few covers. HELP PLEASE!!!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
and congratulations on your new babe

To answer your question, I always wash and dry everything together with the exception of fleece covers (prevent diaper lint from sticking all over them). I haven't ruined anything yet (well - one wool cover) :LOL

Do you have any infant sized prefolds? I absolutely loved prefolds in the early newborn days - all those diaper changes

HTH

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hi mama, congrats to you!

don't worry, it's hard to screw up the dipe laundry. I tend to throw everything in together. Like Pam said, keep the fleece covers out and just throw them in with your regular clothes.

Remeber, if you get overwhelmed, you can take a step back and put on a sposie. Really, the learning curve isn't too steep. Sonn, you'll be diaper-crazed like the rest of us

·
Registered
548 Posts
Congratulations on your new babe and welcome to the wonderful world of cd'ing! I remember my first time washing the dipes and how nervous I was. There really is nothing to worry about! In fact, with some diapers, the more you wash them the more absorbant and fluffier they get! It's a good thing.

I wash everything together but pull out everything waterproof (covers, aio's and pockets) and let those hangdry. You can actually dry them a few times without worry but after a while the waterproof part starts breaking down if you subject it to too much dry heat.
The washing part becomes super easy after the first few times. Don't worry! You can do it!!!

If you're interested here's my wash routine. (I add a lot of optional steps though so don't be intimidated, just ignore those parts if you like)......
*Prerinse/Soak cycle in cold with 1/4 dose of regular Tide. I also put several drops of tea tree oil but that's optional. I like the idea of it being anti-bacterial, plus it helps if you ever find your diapers (hemp mostly) start to smell.
*Hot wash/cold rinse with another 1/4 dose of Tide. Occasionally I'll add about a 1/4 dose of Downey Advanced in the ball. Again that's an optional step.
*Cold rinse. I sometimes will add a few drops of lavendar oil just because I like the scent. This is totally optional.
*Once done, I take out all waterproof things (covers, aio's pockets) and dry in permanent press cycle of dryer. I hang the waterproof ones indoors until dry. Either in the washroom, over the banister, or in the bathroom (depends on if I'm expecting company or not. lol).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts