Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used Charlie's detergent for the first time today. I ran two tablespoons full with some rags first. Then I did my diapers. I didn't mean to do them so quick after switching detergent, but I ran out of All Free and Clear and clean diapers at the same time! I washed the diapers with one tablespoon and a full cap of Calgon. I washed them twice like that, for good measure. Oh, and the first time I shook in a little baking soda for no reason. When I got done, I dried them in the dryer.<br><br>
I washed prefolds, a couple of pockets and liners, and wipes for a breastfed baby who's only trying out solids. The load also included some Nap EZs for my bedwetter (pee only).<br><br>
I smell them, and I'm not sure what to think. I have DH smell them and he smells nothing. But to me, there's this faint smell...kind of like the animal barn at the county fair? So what is that? I don't know if this is the smell of cotton or the poop or what. The smell is not a big gross out or anything, but it does remind me of the fair barn. I guess I don't know what cotton is supposed to smell like or what I should do, if anything.<br><br>
Should I do something different with my wash? Or is a little hint 'o fair barn what it's supposed to be like? Would line drying help? We don't have a line but I'm working on it! Help!

·
Registered
559 Posts
I use Charlie's and our dipes don't smell like that.<br>
I do a cold rinse, then add 1/2 scoop of soap (if that) do a wash on hot and an extra rinse. That's it. On occasion I'll add a few drops of teatree oil.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
cut out all the additives and see.. Calagon makes our laundry stink and I never noticed till I switched toa detergnet that truly doesn't mask the odors (ALL does)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I did another wash, without the Calgon, and now the diapers just smell mostly like cloth.<br><br>
The other smell wasn't necessarily awful or anything. When I say fair barn, it really smelled like that. Maybe some poo smell, but also hay and animals, and I don't know what else. I really never expected that smell but it was exactly what it was like!<br><br>
Anyway, it's gone now. Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
charlies does have a scent, but yeah I would cut out all the additives. Also, you have to wash your dipes 3-4 times with charlies to remove all the All buildup before you use them. So, you are probably getting a lot of mixed product buildup smell.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts