Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last month, I got three laying hens ( domineckers) that are about a year old. The first week I had two eggs. Since then, four weeks now, I have not had one egg. I am in the South so there is decent light but it has been regularly in the 20s at night. I feed them laying feed and supplement with lots of kitchen scraps. I had rhode island reds this time last year and got eggs all winter, not as many in the summer, but I still had a decent supply. I am really starting to worry. Is there anything I can do?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Mine always drop off in the middle of winter...we get very few eggs from about mid-late Dec. to mid-late Jan. It's not the temp or amount of light, but the length of daylight--so the shorter the day, the less they are going to produce. And I've also noticed that when mine molt, they produce a lot less, too.<br><br>
Maybe they are going through some sort of adjustment period to their surroundings, you said you just got them recently? Do they seem to be comfortable with their nesting boxes/area? I have no idea if stuff like that affects chickens (for that length of time, anyway, mine certainly were a little wigged out the first day I brought them home) but I thought I'd throw that out there...maybe someone else has some additional insight?<br><br>
Part of it could be the breed, too, maybe. RIRs are egg-laying machines...some of the more rare breeds that aren't as "commercial" just don't produce the same way. Your girls might just be more particular to day length and wintertime conditions that your RIRs were. I don't know too much about different breeds of chickens, so I have no idea if that might be the case with yours--but again, just an idea to throw out there...

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Moving chickens typically throws them off lay, & winter laying is problematical anyhow; be patient, & eggs will come!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts