Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mom sent me this link, saying since she and my dad were WWII babies and grew up with nothing, she felt they were at risk for being like the woman in this documentary... It's not quite that bad; my mom loves to be melodramatic. But everyone in my family sure struggles with clutter and holding on to too much stuff.

Anyway, from the trailer it looks like it will be very intersesting and just seeing it was good for getting several hours of decluttering out of me!

"My Mother's Garden" link:

<http://www.seethrough-films.com/mmg/index.html>

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
I saw the previoew - this is a HUGE inspiration to clean house.

And after the intervention, how long did it stay neat and clean? The MOM will have been so traumatized, she will have to go "shopping" again ASAP. A sad story.

·
Registered
9,037 Posts
My parents have a little bit of the "grew up with nothing" sort of syndrome. They couldn't bring themselves to throw ANYTHING out...sigh. My father passed on and I went up north to help out...getting rid of anything was a battle.

It took two weeks to clean out HALF of the garage. It's something that I would have gone 10 times quicker...but for everything it was..."are you SURE nobody wants this...or maybe I can sell this at a garage sale." My father had a box of rusty old nails, and my mom was like "well maybe someone can use these.
:

My parents weren't like this woman in the sense that everything was clean though. They were SUPER cluttered...but they always kept the house clean. The basement was filled with garabage bags full of clothes. Old furniture, bags and boxes of old toys.

All her children and grandchildren live nearly 2000 miles away...the house is keeping her there and all those "things"....

·
Premium Member
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, isn't is sad how the stuff helps to keep families apart? My uncle is retired and we've been pressuring him to sell his house and move closer to us (midwest to west coast) and part of the reason he will not do it is all his stuff. I know several other cases where grandparents just don't want to sell the house and downsize to move closer to their kids/grandkids. Sad. I really need to keep that in mind when my time comes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts