Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - I've just joined so am posting an intro. I'm Justine, SAHM living in North Wales UK. DS is 1yo - b/fed exclusively from birth, co-sleep, cloth-nappy, you know, all the usuals! Adore being his Mum - most fulfilling thing ever!

Been reading up on vaccinations on here - currently researching MMR and it's looking very likely that we will not be going ahead.

Is anyone else near this neck of the woods?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Kelly,

That's fab to hear you're in *********. I grew up in Manchester but also spent a lot of my 20's living in the South of England and have just recently moved back North.

Do you find it hard to meet like-minded people - ie b/feeding, etc? What are the Liverpudlians like when it comes to alternative stuff?

Justine

·
Registered
48 Posts
hello to you both,

I'm in ********* too.

I have a 10 week old daughter who was born at home. We breastfeed, co-sleep, use cloth, sling and all those sort of things. I love being her mama, I can't imagine how I enjoyed my life before.

I'm undecided on vaccines. So far she hasn't had any, I personally think 8 weeks is a little too young so I wanted to wait a few more weeks, but now I'm not sure I want her to have any of them. I plan on home schooling if possible so I'm sure that would seriously lower her risk of catching a lot of things going around, but I keep wondering if its selfish, because of the whole herd immunity thing, or how I'd feel if she did get something really badly.

I've met quite a few like-minded people, most of my NCT antenatal class are, majority using cloth, all breastfeed, have the baby in bed to some extent although don't co-sleep through the night as far as I know. And no one seems to make negative comments about my obvious choices anywhere.

Have to stop typing as the baby wants to now.

Anna

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Anna,

Nice to hear from you - I am pleasantly surprised that you've managed to meet some like-minded people there. The majority of Mums I meet bottle-feed and have no idea of anything alternative at all. God help you if you mentioning sharing bed with baby!

I know exactly what you are saying about vaccinations. The more I research, the more I am convinced it isn't right. I also have a strong gut instinct which says it isn't right and if that isn't telling me something then what is? I definately think that reading the archives on vaxing on here has helped.

What's the position of the other Mum's you know with regards to vaxing?

Justine

·
Registered
48 Posts
All the other babies have had or are having their 8 week injections, but I think at least one is going for single jabs rather than the MMR. My mum's a midwife, and it was her that suggested waiting a few weeks to me, she agrees with vaccination but does think we now give them too soon and too many at once because even if it doesn't cause problems its alot for a tiny baby's immune system to cope with. If I do go ahead I'll definately be going for single jabs for MMR and will probably delay them a bit too

I know from things a few other mum's have said to me/us that our antenatal class was lucky to all click the way we did, we all seem to have a similar outlook on the way we parent even if we go about it differently. I can't imagine any of them using CIO or smacking. But they do all own slings and exclusively breastfeed.

I personally couldn't imagine any other way of parenting. It just feels natural to have the baby with me most of the time and in bed, and to feed her myself rather than worrying about making up bottles and sterelising (sp?) them. But my whole family is very child friendly and I've just grown up with that being the norm, I guess I just assumed most people felt that way until I started reading message boards and things when I was pregnant. I was really happy to find this place.

Anna

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Anna,

I think it is a very good idea to delay on vaxing. Your Mum is totally right - it is SO early for these injections, it makes me cross actually. DS had his when he was supposed to - ie 2, 3, 4 months, because I hadn't had the time to think/research the whole thing. At that stage you are just getting to know your baby aren't you. Then you've got the whole vaxing thing to deal with.

You're very lucky indeed to have some Mums who are like-minded too. I'm like you in the sense that AP just feels so right. And yes! Who wants to faff about sterlising bottles.........? B/feeding - apart from the zillion other benefits - is SO convenient isn't it!

Good to talk to you.

Justine

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm new too, mainly spend time on OUL and UKparents, I live in a London Borough which is classed as Essex.

I am an education co-ordinator I arrange for students 14/16 years old D-G predicted GCSE's to study a hands on trade in place of an option - so core curriculum 2 days a week, 1 day college, 2 days a week work experience... hairdressing; engineering; construction etc.

Currently on maternity leave until December 2005, exclusively BF Amelia who is 6 weeks old. 2nd marriage to DH my toyboy
of 7 years and we also have two other children who complete our family Hollie 12 and Connor 9.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm new too, mainly spend time on OUL and UKparents, I live in a London Borough which is classed as Essex.

I am an education co-ordinator I arrange for students 14/16 years old D-G predicted GCSE's to study a hands on trade in place of an option - so core curriculum 2 days a week, 1 day college, 2 days a week work experience... hairdressing; engineering; construction etc.

Currently on maternity leave until December 2005, exclusively BF and CD with mainly Fuzzi Bunz and Wonderoos - Amelia is 6 weeks old. DH is my 2nd marriage
and we have two other children who complete our family Hollie 12 and Connor 9.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi, I'm new here too. I live in South Wales. I have 2 kids aged 6 + 2. I'm a SAHM and my partner and I are getting married in November. We are trying to conceive and this will be our second month of trying. I have come off the pill. Anyone had any trouble conceiving after the pill? How long did it take you to catch? Both of my childeren had the MMR jab and they're both perfect, I'd give my next one it too. They both had all their injections and have had no trouble whatsoever.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts