Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm hoping some of you super-smart-breastfeeding mamas can answer my question.
I've been working on the protocols for inducing lactation (baby should be coming home from South Korea in January/February) and I've finished the birth control pills; so I'm now just taking the Domperidone.
Today, I tried pumping each breast and I got 3 - 4 drops out of each one.
However, they didn't look like milk or anything, just kinda thicker not really clear water. Is this normal?
I'm so excited about being able to breastfeed my son when he comes home (or even just expressing breastmilk for his bottles) that I guess I need some reassurance.
Thanks, mamas!

·
Registered
302 Posts

Terrific. That's what it looks like in the begining for the baby too. Colostrum.

I have produced more than 4000 ounces of milk with my Medela Pump in Style. You'll be amazed at how much you get later.

I find it helps me to read a book while pumping. I get into the book, and relax, by the time I turn a page or two, the bottles are heavy.

So wonderful that you plan on giving your new child the best.

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
woohooo!!!!! that's fantastic!!!!
do you have a picture of your baby? i know that when i was pumping it REALLY helped let down if i thought of or looked at pictures of my son. it's incredible how much that affected it. i noticed that if i let my mind drift off of my son and onto work stuff or just other stuff, my milk flow would nearly stop. as soon as i thought of his sweet little face again, i'd gush like a geyser. LOL anyway, just a thought!

good luck!!!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Also, LLL taught me nipple breathing. Take a deep breath, when exhaling imagine the air going out your nipples. The leader said it sounds strange, but worked wonders for her.

Have you hooked up with LLL? Just seeing other moms nursing made a big difference in my world. Expecting moms are welcome to meetings. We like to set up a support network before the baby arrives. (I'm positive you qualify) www.lalecheleague.org

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Wow! You are getting colustrum!!!!!!! Way to Go!!!.

I was adopted (in the 70's) and recently was telling my mom about adoptive nursing. She said she wishes so badly that she would have know about it when I was a baby

·
Registered
491 Posts
Way to go! You are doing a great thing for your new baby.

I echo the advice to go to a LLL meeting and find some support.

How old will the baby be when you bring him home? If the baby is older and has been getting a bottle for some time, you will probably really want to have someone from LLL or a LC to call on to help get baby latched on and used to the breast. But EBM in a bottle is good too! That's what I did with my twins, they were preemies and started on bottles in the NICU.
My cousin adopted a little girl from China about a year ago, she was 11 months old when my cousin brought her home.

Good Luck to You!!!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Congrats on those drops of milk!!

I had serious supply problems...I know how precious those drops are

I'm sure you already know of this site, but I found it very helpful to me when I was trying to increase my supply.

http://www.fourfriends.com/abrw/forum/index.php?

I also lurked on the BFAR site for ideas.

http://www.bfar.org/

I've tried just about every pump out there and prefer the Whittlestone Expresser.

http://www.whittlestone.com

Can't wait to see pics of your little one!

Laura

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks so much to each of you for your responses and suggestions (I didn't even think of contacting LLL because I don't yet have my baby, but that's a great idea!).
I'm pumping 5 times a day -- that seems to be all my poor nipples can handle at the moment and seem to be getting about 4 - 5 drops of colostrum from each breast at a time. Let's hope this continues, as I have about 3 months before Adam comes home (for pictures, you can see my blog link in my siggie). DH keeps saying how impressed he is with my dedication to pumping, especially when it's uncomfortable.
Thanks again, and I'll keep you updated!

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
Kudos to you mamma!!!! I know how hard it is for me to pump (and I gave birth). Anyone who can pump at all rocks!! I admire your determination. I agree with pp about the LLL. You should definately hook up with some other lactating mammas.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Great job, Mama! What an amazing thing you are doing.

While I didn't induce lactation, I still have serious supply issues and use this product. It's awesome!!!!

More Milk Special Blend
http://www.motherlove.com/product_more_milk_special.php

Here is what it says about it:

Specially formulated at the request of lactation consultants, this blend helps women with special needs, such as Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, breast reduction surgery and adoptive moms, to build mammary tissue as well as the supportive herbs in More Milk Plus.
Not for use during pregnancy.

Good luck. You're doing great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
571 Posts
this is the best thing i've heard all day!!thank you- It sounds like colostrum. As far as pumping ...(the baby's natural latch will produce alot more. )I used to close my eyes and visualize my breasts as faucets with milk just pouring out of them.It worked great. Good luck.What a fortunate baby whose mommy is trying to do the best thing ever for them!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
You definatly should find your nearest LLL. LLL is just coming out with a new 35-40 pg booklet about adoptive bf and it should have the latest info.
Congratulations on your sweet boy. My doula and good friend will be getting her new daughter from Korea next week! We are all on pins and needles!
Best wishes and WAY TO GO!! induced lactation is not easy!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.