Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't believe I never realized this forum was here. I usually hang out in the pregnancy or cloth diapering forums.

Here's my question. Dh smokes (about a pack a day), never in the house or near the kids. He wants to quit. His idea is that he'll join a gym ($200 to join then $50/ month
. We are struggling to pay bills and buy only necessities right now. He rationalizes that if he quit smoking he'd save enough $ to justify the $50/mo gym fee. I want to figure out a way for him to quit smoking AND get in shape without having to go to an expensive gym. He just doesn't want to work out at home because the kids (ds especially) always wants to be near Daddy, and he won't be able to focus on his workout with ds right there. And we really don't have space for a weight bench or anything. The $ we'd be saving on cigarettes could be much better spent, towards debt or savings (we have NO savings right now).

How do I convince him of this? How can he work out from home and still be happy about it? It's almost as if he thinks the ONLY way he can get in shape is by going to a gym.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
That's really a LOT of money for a gym membership!

I'd look into other gyms in the area, and perhaps think about getting a YMCA or YWCA membership for your family instead. Also, look in to local universities or community colleges who often have gym facilities and will let you buy the right to use them for cheap. Most communities have community ed facilities that you can use during open gym hours, or use on a pay-per-use basis -- which might be a great way for your DH to start and show that he's comitted before you shell out a monthly fee. Since the daily fee is generally about $5, make him show that he's going at least 2-3x a week before you join a gym. Then, by the time you're ready to join, you'll be smack-dab in the middle of the post New Years gym membership sales!

Also, don't join anywhere that charges a up-front initation fee... that's absurd. We have a Bally's membership for me, because they provide childcare for while I work out, and it's $42/month, no upfront fee. We can convert to a family membership for an additional $24, but DH has to show me that he'll use the membership first by going to the free gym he has access to through school, and he can't be arsed so we don't pay it. We might later when the little boy is older, though, because they have kid swimming lessons and mother-baby water classes.

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
Try the YMCA, as PP said, you might be able to get a reduced or free membership if your income qualifies. I'm not at all sure what the requirements are but even the full price should be less than $50 per month.

What about Parks 'n Rec or community center based fitness centers? We have one in our area and it's cheap, cheap...I think a 10 visit pass is $20 and they have childcare as well (that you pay for).

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
THe highschool gym is a great idea! But, I don't know the OP, but MY DH would NOT go to a HS to work out! He's all about the statis
: . Here a YMCA membership is $60/month. I thought they were the same everywhere. We are in the process of applying for the "scholorship" for reduced or free admission, but we have to save up 1 month of pay stubs.

·
Premium Member
8,322 Posts
a pack of day habit is not an easy out btw. I would have him cut out the smoking first and go from there.

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
The cost of YMCA memberships varies depending on the amenities they can offer. I *think*, however, that you can join at one Y and that allows you to go to any Y, so it might be worth finding one that is small and has cheap memberships. The Y also often offers discounts for volunteering your time, helping out at, say, the daycare center or welcoming desk.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by birthjunkie27
IHis idea is that he'll join a gym ($200 to join then $50/ month
. We are struggling to pay bills and buy only necessities right now. He rationalizes that if he quit smoking he'd save enough $ to justify the $50/mo gym fee.
Whatever you do, don't put this on a credit card. I joined a gym before my wedding (and attended!) and signed for a whole year right before getting married. Did I ever go back? ONCE.
:

Could I get out of the contract? NOPE. Lesson learned. Pay month by month, even if it is more expensive in the long run.

BTW, his rationalization makes no sense. He needs to show you that he can quit smoking before doing this (quitting is hard, I've done it myself). There is no guarantee that he won't quit, and won't work out. Or he may work out, but still smoke. Perhaps there is a more affordable place as the pp mentioned....

·
Premium Member
5,084 Posts
Well if he actually quits then I say let him join the gym since if I read correctly he is a pack a day smoker and smokes are at least $5 a pack so that's at least $140 a month in smoking. So a gym membership is cheaper and healthier than smoking. Though I wonder and not trying to be snarky but does your husband really want to quit? His logic sounds much like mine did when I was on fence about quitting (took my Mom's death from lung cancer and pregnancy for me to quit for good). Though I am curious if he were to work out at home do you guys have equipment? IMO most men are not too keen on popping in a exercise tape so even if he works out at home you may have to get him some equipment. Just a thought.

Shay

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.